Name- David Dhawan
Date of Birth- 16 August 1955
Age- 65 years(as in 2020)
Mother- Name Not Known
Father- Name Not Known
Brother- Anil Dhawan
Marital Status/Marriage- Married
Wife- Karuna Dhawan
Son- Rohit Dhawan and Varun Dhawan
Height- 5’9 approx.
Net Worth- $20 million approx.
David Dhawan Biography
David Dhawan is an Indian director who is known for his work in Bollywood industry. He is best known for directing movies like Swarg, Shola aur Shabnam, Saajan Chale Sasural, Judwaa, Bade Miyan Chote Miyan, Main Tera Hero, Chashme Baddoor, Mujhse Shaadi Karogi, and many more. He specializes in directing comedy movies which mostly featured stars like Salman Khan, Govinda, Anil Kapoor, Karisma Kapoor, and Juhi Chawala frequently playing the lead roles. His 1993 thriller “Aankhen” and 1999 comedy movie “Biwi No.1” earned him his first Filmfare Award For Best Director nominations.
In an interview, he revealed that he is indebted to actor Sanjay Dutt for all the success that he got, as it was him who helped him getting his first break as a director. He has directed over 42 movies till date and is one of the prestigious members of Asian Academy of Film & Television. Let’s now get to know more about his family, career, wife, and more in his biography.
David Dhawan Family
He was born in Agartala, India into a middle class Punjabi family but brought up in Kanpur. His father used to work as a manager in UCO Bank and mother was a housewife. He has a brother named Anil Dhawan who is also an actor. The two shares close bond with each other. He is married to gorgeous Karuna Dhawan and have two handsome son.
His original name was Rajinder but when he was growing up, his neighbors who were Christians, used to call him David and later he officially changed his name to David. He completed his studies from Christ Church College and BNSD Inter College, till Class XII. Then, he joined Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) for acting but after he saw the acting potential of actors like Satish Sharma and Suresh Oberoi, he realized he is not for acting. So, he took up editing as an option and proceeds with it.
David Dhawan Children
He is father of 2 handsome and talented kids. His elder son Rohit Dhawan is a renowned director of Bollywood and younger son Varun Dhawan is one of the biggest actors of Bollywood industry. Both his son are inseparable in real life just like Ram and Lakhan. They are doing pretty good in their respective fields and have made their parents proud of them.
David Dhawan Career
He started his career as an editor and then ventured into direction. Initially, he enrolled in Film and Television Institute of India, Pune to learn acting but soon realized he can’t act after seeing Satish Sharma and Suresh Oberoi. He is one of the most successful directors of Bollywood industry, who first teamed up with actor Govinda for movie Taaqatwar in 1989. He specializes mostly in comedy films and his biggest success till date is Judwaa 2, starring his son Varun Dhawan in the main lead. Other than this, his movie “Partner” was also a big success at the box office.
David is one of the member of “Asian Academy of Film & Television” and “Asian School of Media Studies” where he was honored with an “Academy Award”. Other than this, he has also judged few reality shows like Nach Baliye 3 and Hans Baliye.
Some Lesser Known and Interesting Facts About David Dhawan
Have a look at some of the interesting facts about him:
- His real name is Rajinder Dhawan which he officially changed to David after he got into FTII.
- He specializes mostly in directing comedy movies which mostly featured Salman Khan, Juhi Chawala, Govinda, Sanjay Dutt etc.
- Actors like Kader Khan, Shakti Kapoor, and Paresh Rawal mostly played supporting roles in his movies.
- He started off his career as an editor before venturing into direction.
- At first, he had no intentions of joining this industry but after his brother Anil Dhawan enrolled in FTII, he too decided to give acting a chance but soon he realized he can’t act and then went for editing course.
- He has paired with actor Govinda in more than 17 movies and most of those movies did amazingly good work at the box office. They used to share good relations but there was a time when their relationship turned sour. In an interview, Govinda said that he will never work with David again. His statement made headlines in the news for many days.