Name- Amitabh Bachchan
Date of Birth- 11 October 1942
Age- 79 years (as in 2021)
Mother- Teji Bachchan and Shyamla (step-mother)
Father- Harivansh Rai Bachchan
Brother- Ajitabh Bachchan
Marital Status/Marriage- Married
Wife- Jaya Bachchan
Son- Abhishek Bachchan
Daughter- Shweta Bachchan
Height- 6’2 approx.
Net Worth- $400 Million USD approx.
Amitabh Bachchan Biography
The Bollywood superstar, the century megastar or the Shahenshah of the film industry. Every word is small for him. In other words, we can say If Bollywood is temple of entertainment then this actor would be the creator we all pray to. He is our very own superstar Amitabh Bachchan. His fans wants to know everything related to him. That is why here we’ve attempted to share a detailed Amitabh Bachchan Biography, his family details, love story, career, and more things related to him for his fans. So without further ado, lets’ start!
Who is Amitabh Bachchan?
Amitabh Bachchan, the Shahenshah of Bollywood is an Indian actor, producer, television host, playback singer and former politician. He is known to be the most popular and influential people of Bollywood industry. He shot to fame for his work in movies like Zanjeer, Deewar, Sholay, Don and Agneepath. The actor has faced lots of problems, obstacles and challenges in the early days of his career, from being physically to financially broken to working hard and becoming the top actor of Bollywood industry, he became the megastar of Hindi cinema.
The actor is known by different names in Bollywood which includes Munna, Big B, Shahenshah, Angry Young Man, AB Senior, and Amith. He has received many popular awards like Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan, Dadasaheb Phalke, and Padma Vibhushan, etc. among many others for his amazing performances in the movies.
Amitabh Bachchan Family
He was born in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India to a well-respected Hindu family. His father name is Harivansh Rai Bachchan, a known poet and mother name is Teji Bachchan. His step-mother name is Shyama. Initially, his father named him Inquilaab but later he changed his name to Amitabh on suggestion of poet Sumitranandan Pant. He also has a younger brother named Ajitabh Bachchan.
Amitabh Bachchan Wife
He is married to actress Jaya Bachchan. They met in the early 1970 at Pune Film Institute but love didn’t blossom at that time. Jaya was already an established actress and Amitabh was struggling to make his career in the industry. It was when he saw Jaya on a magazine cover and realized she has everything he ever wanted in his dream girl, he fell for her. Later, they officially got the opportunity to work together in movie Guddi. They started liking each other but have not confessed it.
Then it was on the sets of their another movie Ek Nazar where their love story started. They fell in love with each other. But their love story took an interesting turn when Amitabh’s father put a condition for him to go to London for his movie Zanjeer only after marrying someone. Amitabh took this as an opportunity and proposed Jaya for marrying him. The couple finally tied the knot on 3 June 1979.
Soon they became proud parents of a daughter named Shweta Bachchan and son Abhishek Bachchan.
They were living a happy life together as a family but then came the rumors of him dating actress Rekha. Their love-story has still been the talk of the town. But regardless of all the rumors, they kept their respect in public and never talked of their relationship officially. Big B also had rumored link-ups with other actresses including Parveen Babi, Zeenat Aman, and few others.
Amitabh Bachchan Career
He did his schooling from Jnana Pramodhini Boys High School and later did his graduation from Kirori Mal College, Delhi University in B.Sc. Initially, his dream was to become an engineer or join the Indian force. So after completing his studies, he went to Kolkata and worked as a broker for shipping firm named Bird and Co.
After working there for a while, he decided to make his career in acting. Finally in 1969, he got his first break with movie Saat Hindustani as Anwar Ali. In the early days of his career, he had to struggle a lot as he delivered 12 back to back flop movies. But with his never giving up attitude, he worked even harder and gave many hits at box office including movies like Zanjeer, Sholey, Sooryavansham, Lal Badshah, Coolie No. 1, etc. among others.
In the year 1984, he joined politics to help his politician friend Rajiv Gandhi. He won the elections with highest margin of votes but after 3 years, he resigned from politics calling it a cesspool.
Then, he took break from industry and entered into business but got failure when his company Amitabh Bachchan Corporation Ltd. was declared a failed company by Indian Industries board. During that time, his politician friend Amar Singh helped him financially to come out of the situation.
After a while, he made his comeback in acting with movie “Mrityudaata” and in no time became the megastar of Bollywood industry. There is no looking back for him since then and he has achieved a lot in his career.
Other than movies, he has also hosted Indian game show Kaun Banega Crorepati season 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9. He has also been part of other shows and reality shows including Big Boss Season 3, Aaj Ki Raat Hai Zindagi, Yudh and Asta Force.
Favorite Things of Amitabh Bachchan
- Gulab Jamun, Kheer, and Bhindi Sabzi are his Favorite Food.
- Dilip Kumar is his Favorite Actor.
- Waheeda Rehman is his Favorite Actress.
- Mehmood Ali is his Favorite Comedian.
- White and Black is his Favorite Color.
- Cricket and Lawn Tennis are his Favorite Sports.
- Sachin Tendulkar and Virat Kohli are his Favorite Cricketers.
- London and Switzerland are his Favorite Destinations to travel.
Facts about Amitabh Bachchan
Have a look at few lesser known facts about our superstar Amitabh:
- He has done double Masters degree in arts stream.
- Initially, he wanted to join Indian Air force or become an engineer.
- After completing his studies from Delhi college, he worked as an executive of a shipping firm in Kolkata.
- His first salary was INR 300.
- His second job was also in Kolkata but as a broker. And before opting acting as his career, his last salary was INR 1680.
- While he was working in Kolkata, he bought his very own second hand car which was Fiat.
- His last name is Srivastava but he uses his father’s nickname which was Bachchan.
- His father Harivansh Rai Bachchan who was a known writer, wanted to name him Inkalaab but on the advice of another poet named Sumitra Nandan Pant, he named him Amitabh.
- Amitabh is one of the tallest actors of Bollywood with 6’2 feet inches of height.
- In the year 1969, he started his filmy career by giving voice to a Bengali film by Mrinal Sen.
- It was actor Sunil Dutt who signed him in his movie “Reshma And Shera”. The movie was released in the year 1971.
- The initial days of his career were full of struggles and it was music composers Kalyan Ji Anand Ji who helped him at that time.
- Like many struggling actors, Big B also had to spent many nights at the Marine Drive.
- For movie “Shatranj Ke Khiladi”, director Satyajit Ray had used his voice in his movie in year 1977.
- Once Amitabh was rejected at All India Radio because of his voice where he went to work as a news reader.
- In 1969, he started his acting career with movie “Saat Hindustani”. He was paid INR 1000 for this movie.
- One of Amitabh’s mentor was Mehmood as well. In his early days of struggle, he used to live at his house.
- In the year 1973, he got his first hit movie “Zanjeer”. Before this, he had back to back 12 flop movies.
- His first famous screen name is Vijay as he is named Vijay in more than 20 movies. And his second popular screen name is Amit.
- He met Jaya Bachchan for the first time in Pune’s Film & TV Institute where he came for the shooting of his movie Saat Hindustani.
- Jaya Bachchan and Amitabh are the only couple who have worked in more than 30 films together.
- Also, he is one of the very few actors who has played many double roles in movies like Don, Sooryavansham, Bade Mian- Chote Mian, Lal Badshah, etc. among others.
- Amitabh is the only actor who has been nominated frequently in Popular Film Award for Best Actor.
- He was the first choice of the directors for movies like Utsav and King Uncle.
- In most of his movies, actress Nirupama Roy has appeared as his mother. As his mother, her last movie with him was Lal Baadshah in 1999.
- He got the Big B title in the Bollywood industry after his second comeback movie “Mrityudaata” in late 90s.
- His movie “Khuda Gawaah” was one of the most watched Indian movies in Afghanistan.
- He considers actress Vahida Rehman as the most beautiful actress in Hindi industry.
- There are many writers who have written movies script taking consideration of Amitabh. Mr. India is also one of those movies but it was later went to Anil Kapoor after Amitabh rejected the movie citing to date issues.
- The song “Rang Barse” from his movie Silsila had some lyrics which was written by his father Harivansh Rai Bachchan. And in movie “Agneepath”, the whole poem that was spoken by him is also written by his father only.
- He is the only actor of Bollywood industry who has worked in his own re-make movie. His one of the super hit classic movie “Sholey” was re-make in 2007 “Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag” where he played the role of villain.
- Amitabh can easily write with his left as well as right hand.
- The Indian comic character of “Supremo” is based on him only.
- He is the first Indian actor whose wax statue is placed at Madame Tussauds Museum, London. Later, other actors like Shahrukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai, Salman Khan, and other actors joined the list.
- Amitabh was awarded with “Superstar of the Century” at Alexandria Film Festival, Egypt in 2001.
- Once in a poll conducted by BBC News, he won the title of “Actor of Millennium” by beating International stars like Charlie Chaplin and Marlon Brando.
- In the year 2001, he was awarded with one of the prestigious awards of India Padma Bhushan.
- He is suffering from Ashtma.
- There was a time when in the midst of his career he had no work. At that time, he went to Yashraj who then offered him movie Mohabbatein.
- He also has one rare disease known as “Myasthenia Gravis” by which the muscles get weaker.
- For his movie “Shootout at Lokhandwala”, he had done almost 23 scenes in just 5 hours. The entire crew and unit was shocked by this.
- When it comes to comfort, Big B doesn’t like to compromise. In his house, he has all the luxuries and comfort. There is Italian marble flooring while all the bathroom fittings are brought all the way from Germany and France.
- As per the reports, his houses Pratiksha and Jalsa is worth more than 500 crores.
- His house Jalsa was a gift from director Ramesh Sippy to him.
- He loves wearing suits and all his suits are from brand Gabbana. They are designing his suits for over 30 years.
- Once his children Abhishek and Shweta refused him to come to their school as his arrival made massive chaos at the school premises.
- Other than suits, he is also fond of watches and his favorite brand is Longines whose price only starts from INR 2 lakhs.
- The German pen company Mont Blanc gifts him a special pen every year.
- He does not like the term Bollywood that is used for the Hindi cinema.
- The only black and white movie he ever worked in was Saat Hindustani.
- In 1995, he judged the Miss World Beauty Contest.
- His mother used to call him Munna.
- He got interest in acting from his mother as she was fond of acting but was not able to make her career in the same because of her family.
- From the year 1974 to 1985, more than 19 of his films have celebrated Golden Jubilee.
Amitabh Bachchan is not only the king of Bollywood but also the king of audience’s heart which he’s ruling since a very long time. He is an inspiration to many actors including the well-established as well as the aspiring actors too. He is the only King of Bollywood who is loved by everyone.