Name- Anil Kapoor
Date of Birth- 24 December 1956
Age- 64 years(as in 2020)
Mother- Nirmal Kapoor
Father- Surinder Kapoor
Sister– Reena Kapoor
Brother- Bonny Kapoor and Sanjay Kapoor
Marital Status/Marriage- Married to Sunita Kapoor
Wife- Sunita Kapoor
Son- Harshvardhan Kapoor
Daughter- Sonam Kapoor and Rhea Kapoor
Height- 5’11 approx.
Weight- 76kg approx.
Net Worth- $12 million approx.
Anil Kapoor Biography
Anil Kapoor is an Indian actor, producer and semi-singer. He is primarily known for his work in Indian cinema. Born on 24 December 1956, he is the best example of a man who has aged so gracefully with time. He was born and brought up in Chembur to a film producer Surinder Kapoor. The actor was so much interested towards the film industry that he even was expelled from his college due to lack of attendance. Post that, he had given so much to the industry that it is hard for any other actor for the coming generation to even achieve. His career in Bollywood is dated back to 80s.
Known as Mr. India of Bollywood, the actor has also worked in Hollywood industry. His first collaboration was with director Donny Boyle in 2008. The world has seen what that movie had achieved and so did Anil. Other than his career, he is proud father of 3 successful children Sonam, Rhea and Harshvardhan. Let’s get in detailed Anil Kapoor biography, family details, wife, movies, career and more.
Anil Kapoor Family
He was born in Mumbai, Maharashtra into a middle class Punjabi family. His father name is Surinder Kapoor and mother name is Nirmal Kapoor. He has 2 brothers and 1 sister. His elder brother name is Boney Kapoor, a popular Indian film producer and younger brother, Sanjay Kapoor who is also an actor. His sister name is Reena Kapoor. Arjun Kapoor, Mohit Marwah, Jahaan Kapoor, Anshula Kapoor, Jhanvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and Shanaya Kapoor are his nephews and niece. The whole Kapoor family is known for their unity and stood beside each other in each other’s thick and thin.
Anil Kapoor Wife
He is one of those stars who has never been part of any controversy. Despite being one of the Internationally popular actors, he has been known for his acting caliber, devotion towards his family, friends and children. He is married to a former model Sunita Kapoor. Sunita has always stood beside him as his pillar of strength from the days when he was not even a superstar. Eventually they met through their friends when a common friend of theirs told Sunita to make a prank call on him. Hearing her voice only made him fall in love with it and then they met at a party. They started talking and became good friends.
Though at that time, he used to like other girl but that girl vanished, leaving him all heartbroken. This was when his and Sunita’s bond got strengthen and in no time they started dating organically. They started meeting more often and since he had to take a long one hour bus to meet her, Sunita used to pay for her cab so that he can meet her fast.
Side by side, he was working hard to establish a place for herself in the industry before proposing her for marriage. And Sunita, without any complaint supported him throughout. It was when he got his first break “Meri Jung”, he went to Sunita and proposed her, to which she said, “Let’s get married tomorrow. Its either tomorrow or never”. The couple got married the next day and is living their life to the fullest since then. They are proud parents of 3 kids. Together they’ve built their life, house and family. Even after 45 years of marriage, the couple describe their journey as if they are still dating.
Anil Kapoor Children
He is proud father of 2 daughters and a son. Actress Sonam Kapoor is his elder daughter, she is one of the talented and top actresses of the Bollywood industry, known as a Fashionista of industry. His another daughter Rhea Kapoor is a producer and director. She is doing good and have provided some good cinema for the viewers. Other than that, both his daughter have launched a clothing line named “Rheson”. Then his son, Harshvardhan Kapoor is also an actor and is working very hard to become one of the successful actors of the industry. All his children are doing good in the industry, making him even more proud.
Anil Kapoor Girlfriend
Apart from his energy and looks, Anil is known as one of the wittiest celebrities from the industry. It is no secret that the actor’s life has been one of a roller coaster. Once in an interview while he was talking about his personal life, he said that “He had dated 20-25 girls from the industry.” Now, he is a happily married men with 3 beautiful children. Though once there was a time when his name was linked with several actresses of the industry. It includes the evergreen beautiful Madhuri Dixit and Kimi Katkar. Later, he dated Sunita Bhambhani with him he tied the knot after dating for a long period of time.
Anil Kapoor Career/ Movies
His father was a movie producer and so he was more inclined towards the film industry since his school days. In 1979, he made his acting debut in a cameo role with movie “Hamare Tumhare”. Initially his journey in the beginning was not easy and he had to struggle a lot to grab roles. And it was only his struggle and hard work that he finally got the lead role in movie “Wo Saat Din” which was released in 1983. Later, her did number of movies like Mashaal, Meri-Jung, etc. and became a known face. But stardom was still far from him.
Luckily in 1987, he got the opportunity to work in movie “Mr. India” as Arun Verma. The movie was biggest hit of all times and gave him instant recognition and popularity. Since then, he gave lots of hit movies to the box office but became superstar after the release of his movie “Pukar” in 2000. For this movie, he won many awards and recognition & became one of the popular actors of the movies industry.
Other than acting, he then ventured into production with movie “Badhaai Ho Badhaai” and Gandhi, My Father. He is a big name in the industry and has worked in several Hollywood movies as well. Among so many of his movies, Slumdog Millionaire is one such movie that was a big hit at international level and has even won an Oscar award including other prestigious awards.
In the year 2010, he made his acting debut on small screen industry with a series named 24. This as well was a big hit and he was praised for his role and physique in the serial. And this is just not it, the multi-talented actor holds a good grip in singing as well. He has sung few songs like “Pyar Kiya Nahi Jaata”, Woh Saat Din”, etc. Here is the list of Hollywood and Bollywood movies he has been part of:
|1971||Tu Payal Mein Geet||Young Shashi Kapoor|
|1980||Ek Baar Kaho|
|1983||Pallavi Anu Pallavi||Vijay|
|1983||Woh Saat Din||Prem Pratap Patailawale|
|1984||Laila||Kumar Deshraj Singh|
|1985||Saaheb||Sunil Sharma 'Saaheb'|
|1985||Yudh||Public Prosecutor Avinash / Junior|
|1985||Meri Jung||Arun Verma|
|1986||Kahan Kahan Se Guzar|
|1986||Pyaar Ka Sindoor|
|1986||Chameli Ki Shaadi||Charandas|
|1986||Aap Ke Saath||Vimal|
|1986||Pyar Kiya Hai Pyar Karenge||Anand|
|1986||Karma||Johnny / Gyaneshwar|
|1986||Insaaf Ki Awaaz||Ravi Kumar|
|1987||Mr. India||Arun Verma / Mr. India|
|1987||Hifazat||Ram Kumar / Raj Kumar|
|1988||Kasam||Krishna / Inspector Kishan Kumar|
|1988||Sone Pe Suhaaga||Ravi Kumar/Joginder|
|1988||Tezaab||Mahesh Deshmukh (Munna)|
|1989||Ram Lakhan||Inspector Lakhan Pratap Singh|
|1989||Eeshwar||Ishwarchand Vishnunath Brahmanand|
|1989||Abhimanyu||Mannu / Abhimanyu America Puri|
|1989||Aag Se Khelenge||Inspector Ravi Saxena / Raja Saxena|
|1990||Kishen Kanhaiya||Kishen / Kanhaiya|
|1990||Ghar Ho To Aisa||Amar|
|1990||Jeevan Ek Sangharsh||Karan|
|1991||Lamhe||Virendra "Viren" Kapoor|
|1992||Zindagi Ek Jua||Harikishan alias Harry|
|1992||Khel||Devdas / Arun Kumar|
|1992||Heer Ranjha||Deedho / Ranjha|
|1992||Aasmaan Se Gira|
|1993||Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja||Ramesh Verma / Romeo|
|1994||1942: A Love Story||Naren Singh|
|1995||Trimurti||Anand Singh / Sikander|
|1996||Mr. Bechara||Anand Verma|
|1997||Deewana Mastana||Raj Kumar "Raja" / Inspector Bansi Rao|
|1998||Kabhi Na Kabhi||Rajeshwar "Raja"|
|1998||Jhooth Bole Kauwa Kaate||Shanker Sharma / Ramanuj|
|1999||Hum Aapke Dil Mein Rehte Hain||Vijay|
|2000||Bulandi||Dharamraj "Dada" Thakur / Arjun Thakur|
|2000||Pukar||Major Jaidev Rajvansh|
|2000||Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai||Avinash|
|2000||Karobaar: The Business of Love||Rajiv|
|2002||Badhaai Ho Badhaai||Raja|
|2002||Om Jai Jagadish||Om Batra|
|2003||Armaan||Dr. Akash Sinha|
|2005||My Wife's Murder||Ravi Patwardhan|
|2005||Chocolate||Advocate Krishan Pundit|
|2006||Humko Deewana Kar Gaye||Karan Oberoi|
|2006||Darna Zaroori Hai||Karan Chopra|
|2007||Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute To Love||Vinay|
|2007||Welcome||Sagar Pandey aka Majnu Bhai|
|2008||My Name is Anthony Gonsalves||Himself|
|2008||Black & White||Special appearance as Rajan Mathur|
|2008||Race||Inspector Robert D'Costa ("RD")|
|2008||Tashan||Lakhan Singh Ballebaaz (Bhaiyyaji)|
|2008||Slumdog Millionaire||Prem Kumar|
|2009||Shortcut: The Con is on||Himself|
|2010||No Problem||Inspector Arjun Singh|
|2011||Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol||Brij Nath|
|2013||Race 2||Inspector Robert D'Costa ("RD")|
|2013||Shootout at Wadala||ACP Afaaque Baaghran|
|2013||Mahabharat 3D Film||Karna (voice-over)|
|2015||Dil Dhadakne Do||Kamal Mehra|
|2015||Welcome Back||Majnu Bhai|
|2017||Mubarakan||Kartar Singh Bajwa|
|2018||Race 3||Shamsher Singh|
|2018||Fanney Khan||Prashant Kumar Sharma / Fanney Khan|
|2018||Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle||Baloo (voice)|
|2019||Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga||Balbir Chaudhary|
|2019||Total Dhamaal||Avinash Patel|
|2020||Malang||Inspector Anjaney Agashe|
Anil Kapoor Controversy
Even though Anil has been one of those celebrities who have always maintained low profile in making controversy but still has made some. Have a look at some of the controversies he has been part of:
- It is mostly seen in Bollywood that almost every celebrity jibe at each other. This is what happened when actor Abhay Deol indirectly blamed Sonam Kapoor for the failure of their movie “Aisha”. Eventually he was upset with Sonam and makers of the movie for not giving him credit for the movie. However, this became worse when Anil Kapoor took a dig at Abhay Deol on popular chat show “Koffee with Karan” where he said that “Abhay needs help”. This doesn’t went well with Abhay and he retaliated saying, “Yes, I do need help and Aisha is a biggest proof of that. He’s a waste of my time”. This sudden fallout between Deol and Kapoor grabbed lots of light on the matter.
- In 2016, he made headlines in the news when he did a stunt in a local train for promoting his Tv show “24: Season 2”. The publicity stunt done by him got the actor into trouble after he received a notice from Western Railway. The notice was sent to the management company asking for an explanation as why he (Anil) was travelling on the footboard. In the promos, Anil was seen hanging from the train which was a criminal offence under the Railway act.
Anil Kapoor Awards
Over the years, he has established himself as one of the most successful stars of Hindi cinema who has made India proud in Hollywood industry as well. Here are some of the awards and achievements won by the actor in his career:
- 1985- Won Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for movie Mashaal.
- 1989- Won Filmfare Best Actor Award for movie Tezaab.
- 1993- Won Filmfare Best Actor Award for movie Beta.
- 1997- Won “Nata Kalaratna Award” from Government of Andhra Pradesh.
- 1998- Won Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor for movie Virasat.
- 1998- Won Screen Award for Best Actor for movie Virasat.
- 2000- Won Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for movie Taal.
- 2000- Won IIFA Best Comedian Award for movie Biwi No.1.
- 2001- Won National Film Award for Best Actor for movie Pukar.
- 2001- Won Bollywood Movie Award – Most Sensational Actor for movie Pukar.
- 2002- Won Awadh Samman Award from Government of Uttar Pradesh.
- 2008- Won Zee Cine Award for Best Film (Critics) for movie Gandhi, My Father.
- 2008- Won Performer with All Round Comic Excellence from Vodafone Comedy Honors.
- 2009- Won Stardust Best Actor in a Negative Role Award for movie Tashan.
- 2009- Won Best Actor in a Comic Role from Apsara Awards.
- 2015- Won Excellence in World Cinema Award from Teacher’s Global Indian Achiever Award.
- 2016- Won Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for movie Dil Dhadakne Do.
- 2016- Won Stardust Award for Best Supporting Actor for movie Dil Dhadakane Do.
- 2018- Won Best Supporting Actor – Male for movie Mubarakan.
Some Unknown Facts About Anil Kapoor
Let’s have a look at some of the interesting facts about the evergreen superstar:
- Born to a film producer, he made his acting debut at the age of 14 with movie “Tu Payal Geet” but unfortunately, the movie did not release in theatres.
- In 1979, he officially made his acting debut in a cameo role with movie “Hamare Tumhare”.
- He rose to fame after the release of movie “Mr. India” where he was casted opposite actress Sridevi Kapoor.
- Apart from Bollywood, he has worked in several Hollywood movies as well. In 2008, he made his Hollywood debut with movie “Slumdog Millionaire”.
- The actor got huge appreciation for his television serial 24 which turned out to be a huge success.
- Eventually, he was not the first choice for movie “Mr. India”. It was Amitabh Bachchan who was offered the role first but due to date issues, he rejected it and then Anil got the role.
- In the beginning of his career, he wanted to join Pune Film institute but couldn’t get through and so learned the acting skills from Roshan Taneja’s acting school.
- Other than acting, he is also a trained singer who has given his voice in several songs including “Pyar Kiya Nahi Jaata”, Woh 7 Din, I love You, etc.
- He has received lots of awards in his career for his performances in movies like No Entry, Welcome, Race 2, Dil Dhadakane Do, etc.
- It was his movie “Pukar” which led him got his first National Award.
- He is a big fitness freak and is very much particular about what he eats and at what time.
- The actor doesn’t like to be called Jhakkas all the time.
- In the initial phase of his career, he has even worked in Raj Kapoor’s garage due to financial crunch.