Name- Shashi Kapoor
Date of Birth- 18 March 1938
Age(at the time of death)- 79 years
Death Date- 4 December 2017
Mother- Ramsarni Mehra Kapoor
Father- Prithviraj Kapoor
Sister– Urmila Sial Kapoor
Brother- Raj Kapoor and Shammi Kapoor
Marital Status/Marriage- Married
Wife- Jennifer Kendal
Son- Karan Kapoor and Kunal Kapoor
Daughter- Sanjana Kapoor
Height- 5’9 approx.
Net Worth- INR 500 Crores approx.
Shashi Kapoor Biography
The actor who hit the spotlight at the age of 4 only. He used to act in plays directed and produced by his father. The actor who was destined to become a known star in the industry. It is none other than, the legendary Bollywood actor Shashi Kapoor. The romantic screen icon of 70s and 80s, the heartthrob, the handsome actor breathed his last at Mumbai’s Kokilaben Ambani Hospital at the age of 79.
Here we’ve attempted to share a small Shashi Kapoor biography, his family details, love life, facts and other information for his die-hard fans. So without any delay lets’ start!
Who is Shashi Kapoor?
Shashi Kapoor was a renowned Indian actor and filmmaker who was highly known for his work in mainstream Hindi cinema. Always inclined towards acting, he made his acting debut at the age of only 4. He usually used to act in the plays, directed and produced by his father Prithviraj Kapoor. The actor was one of the most popular star of his time and was also awarded with National Award for his contribution in the Indian cinema industry. He is one of the first Indian actor who got the chance to be featured in west.
In year 2012, he underwent a cataract surgery and was admitted at Kokilaben Hospital in Mumbai. However, he was discharged on the same day.
On 3 December 2017, he died after fighting a long battle with liver cirrhosis and kidney failure as well. The actor died but his work still remains and is gonna stay forever.
Shashi Kapoor Family
He was born in Kolkata, India into a high class Punjabi family. His father name is Prithviraj Kapoor, a legendary actor of his time and mother name is Ramsarni Kapoor. The well established actors of Bollywood like Raj Kapoor and Shammi Kapoor were his elder brothers. He also had a sister named Urmila Sial Kapoor.
Shashi Kapoor Wife
He was married to the girl of his dreams Jennifer Kendal. It was 1956 when Shashi was backstage and the love of his life was playing a character from Shakespeare on stage. He instantly fell for her right then and there. Next day they met each other, talked and instantly hit it off. This is how their love story began.
Taking their relationship to next level, they got married in the year 1958. Together they have 3 children, two sons named Karan Kapoor (Photographer) & Kunal Kapoor (Ad-maker) and a daughter named Sanjana Kapoor (an actress & entrepreneur). They were living a happy life together as a family.
He loved his children dearly and would always try to schedule his shootings outside country to coincide with their school holidays so they can also join him and spend time together. Every time he packed up early, he used to go out on lunches, long walks, picnics and even shikara rides. The actor was very close to her kids.
But unfortunately his wife lost her life to terminal colon cancer in 1984. Post her demise, something was broke inside Shashi and he cried a lot. His perspective towards life changed and he became an overall different person. He used to miss her a lot and loved her till his last breath.
Shashi Kapoor Career
He completed his schooling from Don Bosco High School in Mumbai. Always aspired to become an actor and coming from a filmy background, he made his acting debut at the age of 4 with Bollywood movie “Aag” in 1948 as Kewal Khanna.
Later he appeared in another movie as a child artist. The movie was Awaara where he was greatly applauded for his performance. In the movie, he played younger version of superstar Raj Kapoor.
In year 1958, he started his venture into direction by being the assistant director for Bollywood movie “Post Box 999”. Then in year 1961, he made his debut as an actor with movie Dharamputra as “Dilip Rai”.
Other than Bollywood, he has also worked in Hollywood movies including The Householder, Shakespeare Wallah, Pretty Polly, Bombay Talkie, Jinnah, Side Streets, etc.
In year 1978, he launched his own production house and have produced many movies including Vijeta, Utsav, Ajooba, Junoon, Kalyug, etc. among others.
Shashi is one of the most popular actor of his time who has well established his position in the Bollywood industry.
Then in the year 1996, he made his television debut with serial “Gulliver’s Travel” which was an American/ British TV show.
Shashi Kapoor Controversy
- Though he has never been in any controversy but in 1972, his movie Siddhartha ignited controversy because of few intimate scenes he had with his co-star in the movie, Simi Grewal.
Facts About Shashi Kapoor
Below we’ve shared few lesser known facts about actor Shashi Kapoor. Have a look:
- His real name is Balbir Raj Kapoor which he later changed to Shashi Kapoor.
- His first movie was Dharanputra which was released in the year 1961.
- Not just Hindi but the actor has worked in few English movies as well. The films he worked in are Shakespeare-Wallah, The Householder, A Matter of Innocence, etc. among others.
- He made his debut as a child artist with movie Sangram.
- He became an actor and assistant stage manager at the age of 18 only.
- The actor had love marriage with Jennifer Kendal who was daughter of prominent English theatre actor Geoffrey Kendal.
- Shashi is one of the few actors to cross over to cinema and get featured in the west.
- Not just an actor but he was also a director who made his directorial debut with movie Ajooba starring superstar Amitabh Bachchan.
- During his directorial debut, people saw an unusual side of him as he used to have one thick stick which he planned to use on those who misbehaves on the set. Though, actor Amitabh who was the main lead of the movie revealed that he never uses the stick on anyone as he immensely cared for everyone on the sets.
- He owned his own popular production house named Film Valas.
- On 5 November 1978, he and his wife Jennifer established Prithvi Theatre which is now looked over by their daughter Sanjana Kapoor.
- The actor never really liked to show his emotions. He only smiled and laughed a bit when he got to know that he is awarded with President’s Golden medal and Dadasaheb Phalke Award.
- Other than acting, he was highly inclined towards social work. Even he was the only actor who talked to the Chief Minister of Maharashtra to provide a safe house to the slum dwellers in Colaba.
- Despite being so popular, rich and famous actor, he never really liked to invest his money on the commercial businesses but put all his hard earned money into cinema and theatres. One can say that he breathed and lived movies all her life. He invested in cinema only.
- Actress Shabana Azmi was great fan of Shashi Kapoor. She even said that she used to purchase his posters and postcards like crazy by her own pocket money back in 70s.
- Years later, shabana got the chance to work with Shashi and she said that she burst into tears in the make-up room while working with him.
- He was a big hearted man who never stepped back when it comes to helping people. In an interview, Shabana revealed that she scrapped for cash and had only 8 dollars in foreign exchange. It was Shashi Kapoor who helped her at that time by setting all her bills.
Shashi Kapoor was one of the most prominent actors of Bollywood who is still looked upon by many young actors and actresses in the industry. His work for the cinema has set a benchmark for the people of all the aspiring and well-established actors and artists. The man who never thought of getting married after the love of his life died, Jennifer. The one and only Shashi Kapoor, who is still alive in the hearts of all the cinema lovers.