Name- Vijay Sethupathi
Date of Birth- 16 January 1978
Age- 42 years(as in 2020)
Brother- Anna and Thambi
Marital Status/Marriage- Married
Height- 5’9 approx.
Weight- 69kg approx.
Net Worth- N/A
Vijay Sethupathi Biography
Vijay Sethupathi is an Indian actor, producer and lyricist. He is primarily known for his work in Telugu and Malayalam industry. Born on 16 January 1978, he did his schooling from MGR Higher Secondary School in Kodambakkam and Little Angels Mat HR Sec School. He completed his graduation in Bachelor of Commerce from Dhanraj Baid Jain College in Thoraipakam. Initially, he started his career as an accountant but later began considering acting as his source of income. Later, he started his career in acting as a supporting cast until he got his breakthrough roles with movies like Pizza, Naduvula Konjam Pakkatha Kaanom, etc. Over the years, he became one of the most successful and popular actors of South industry.
Facts About Vijay Sethupathi
- Prabhu Deva and Rajinikanth are his Favorite Actors.
- Manikandan and Mani Ratnam are his Favorite Directors.
- Cricket is his Favorite Sports.
- Johnny, 16 Vayathinile, Mullum Malarum, and Animated are his Favorite Movies.
- Writing and Singing are his Favorite Hobbies.
- After completing his graduation in commerce stream, he worked as an assistant in a wholesale cement business.
- He did a series a job in the starting of his career including salesmen at a retail shop, cashier at fast food joint, and at a phone booth operator.
- Later, he moved to Dubai and there he worked as an accountant only because he was getting four times more money of what he was getting in India.
- But in 2003, he came back to India and started an interior designing business with his friend. After a while, he joined a marketing company that majorly dealt with readymade kitchens.
- Eventually he never wanted to become an actor but it happened to him luckily. One day, while working, he saw a Koothupattarai’s poster and recalled about what Balu Mahendra (director) said to him, “You have a very photogenic face and you should pursue acting”.
- Subsequently, he joined his theatre group as an actor and accountant. There he used to observe other actor’s from close quarters.
- Initially, he started his career in acting as background actor in few films and besides that, he did few television serials as well.
- And finally in 2011, he got to play the main lead in movie “Thenmerku Paruvakaatru” where he did the role of Murugan.
- The film worked amazingly well at the box office and even won three National Film awards along with “Best Tamil Feature Film” prize of the year.
- His career marked a great turning point in 2012 resulting a rise in his popularity after all of his three release of the year was super hit.
- Over the years, he emerged as one of the top and popular actors of the South industry with millions of followers on his Instagram account from all over the world.
- In 2014, he participated in a rally to raise awareness on Muscular Dystrophy along with Varalaxmi Sarathkumar and Gayathrie.
- He owns a production house named “Vijay Sethpathi Productions”.
- Apart from being an actor, he is also a producer, singer and lyricist.
- He is also a singer and has sung songs like Orae Oru Oorla and Straight Ah Poyee from movie Orange Mittai.
Vijay Sethupathi Family
He was born in Rajapalayam, Tamil Nadu into a middle class Hindu family. His father name is Kalimuthu and mother name is Saraswathi. He has two brothers whose names are Thambi and Anna & also have a sister named Thangachi. Coming from a middle class family, he did a series to jobs to look after his family. He even went to Dubai for job but left it after being unhappy with the job. However, the actor with his hard and dedication has given his family all the comforts and luxuries. He has made them proud by being one of the popular actors of the South industry.
Vijay Sethupathi Wife/ Girlfriend
He is married to Jessie. He met her online while he was working in Dubai. The two started dating and tied the knot with their family’s approval in 2003. They are blessed with two adorable kids a daughter named Shreeja and son named Surya. Even after so many years of their marriage, they are highly in love with each other and have stood beside each other through thick and thin.
Vijay Sethupathi Career/ Movies
He never wanted to become an actor but destiny had other plans for him and he ended up being an actor. In the year 2004, he joined a theatre group as an actor and accountant. He started off his acting career playing small roles in movies. And finally, he got his breakthrough roles with movies like Thenmerku Paruvakaatru, Pizza, Naduvula Konjam Pakkatha Kaanom, Idharkuthane Aasaipattai Balakumara, etc. Over the years, he came out as one of the best and talented actors of the South industry. Here is the list of movies he has been part of:
Year Movies 1996 Gokulathil Seethai 2004 M. Kumaran Son of Mahalakshmi 2006 Pudhupettai 2007 Lee 2009 Vennila Kabadi Kuzhu 2010 Thenmerku Paruvakaatru 2010 Naan Mahaan Alla 2010 Bale Pandiya 2011 Varnam 2012 Sundarapandian 2012 Pizza 2012 Naduvula Konjam Pakkatha Kaanom 2013 Soodhu Kavvum 2013 Idharkuthane Aasaipattai Balakumara 2013 Idam Porul Yaeval 2014 Vanmam 2014 Thirudan Police 2014 Rummy 2014 Pannaiyarum Padminiyum 2014 Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam 2014 Jigarthanda 2015 Purampokku Engira Podhuvudamai 2015 Orange Mittai 2015 Naanum Rowdy Dhaan 2015 Bench Talkies 2016 Sethupathi 2016 Rekka 2016 Kadhalum Kadandhu Pogum 2016 Iraivi 2016 Dharma Durai 2016 Aandavan Kattalai 2017 Vikram Vedha 2017 Puriyatha Puthir 2017 Kavan 2017 Katha Nayagan 2017 Karuppan 2018 Traffic Ramasamy 2018 Seethakaathi 2018 Oru Nalla Naal Paathu Solren 2018 Junga 2018 Imaikkaa Nodigal 2018 Chekka Chivantha Vaanam 2018 96 2020 Uppena 2020 Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy 2020 Super Deluxe 2020 Sindhubaadh 2020 Sangathamizhan 2020 Petta 2020 Marconi Mathai 2020 Maamanithan 2020 Kadaisi Vivasayi 2020 Action 2020 Yaadhum Oore Yaavarum Kelir 2020 Thalapathy 64 2020 Oh My Kadavulae 2020 Laal Singh Chaddha 2020 Laabam 2020 Kae Pae Ranasingam 2020 AA20
Vijay Sethupathi Awards
The actor has won many awards for his performances in the movies. Here are few:
- 2012- Won Tamil Nadu State Film Awards under the category of Best Villain for movie Sundarapandian.
- 2012- Won Norway Tamil Film Festival Awards/ Edison Awards (India)/ 7th Vijay Awards under the category of Best Actor/ Best Male Rising Star/ Best Actor (Special Jury Award) for movie Naduvula Konjam Pakkatha Kaanom.
- 2013- Won Behindwoods Gold Medal/ 8th Vijay Awards under the category of Best Acting Performance/ Best Actor (Special Jury Award) for movie Soodhu Kavvum and Idharkuthane Aasaipattai Balakumara.
- 2016- Won Norway Tamil Film Festival Awards/ Asiavision Awards under the category of Best Actor for movie Dharma Durai.
- 2017- Won Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Tamil/ Vijay Award for Best Actor under the category of Best Actor for movie Vikram Vedha.
- 2019- Won Indian Film Festival of Melbourne under the category of Best Actor for movie Super Deluxe.
Vijay Sethupathi Controversies
He has made headlines in the news for few controversies as well. Here are few:
- On February 2019, he said that Kerala’s CM Pinarayi Vijayan’s stand on Sabrimala issue is correct and there is no point in putting ban on women during menstruation. He further added in an interview to ibTimes,
“It is pretty easy to lead the life as a man. But for women, it is not that smooth. Women need to face pain every month due to menstruation. Who told that menstruation is impure? It is actually very sacred. In Sabarimala issue, I stand with Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan”.
- In the same year, he became victim of fake online propaganda after a tweet is being circulated claiming he disrespected Bhagavad Gita. In the tweet, he was quotes saying, “Bhagavad Gita is not a holy book. These works of fiction are the reason behind the degradation of today’s society”. However, he came forward and cleared the air by saying,
“I have never disrespected any holy book and will not do it in future. This is a fake news spread by some social adversaries. I will never act in any way that would affect the sentiments and unity of my people”.
View this post on Instagram