Name- Sushmita Sen
Date of Birth- 19 November 1975
Age- 45 years(as in 2020)
Mother- Subhra Sen
Father- Shubeer Sen
Brother- Rajeev Sen
Marital Status/Marriage- Unmarried
Height- 5’9 approx.
Net Worth- $2 million approx.
Sushmita Sen Biography
Sushmita Sen is an Indian actress and model who has won prestigious titles including Femina Miss India in 1994 and Miss Universe 1994 at the age of only 18. She is the first Indian women to win this title and later made her mark in the Hindi cinema. Many women see their idol in her whereas others who will read her life story will see her as their role model. Starting from nothing to getting everything that one cannot even dream of, Sushmita has set an example for everyone who look up to her success. The charismatic timeless beauty with quite colorful love life and two adorable adopted daughters, is a most compelling combination of beauty plus brain. Let’s check out more details about her including the family, love life, career, facts and more of this beautiful diva.
Sushmita Sen Family
She was born in Hyderabad, India into a middle class Bengali family. Her father name is Shubeer Sen, former Indian Air Force Wing Commander and mother name is Subhra Sen, a jewelery designer. She has two siblings, a sister named Neelam and brother named Rajeev Sen, who is an actor as well as owner of a Dubai based store. In 2000, she adopted a baby girl named Rene and in 2010, another girl named Alisah. She is living with her daughters in a beautiful apartment in Mumbai.
Sushmita Sen Boyfriend
She is dating model Rohman Shawl. Many people think that they met each other at a fashion show but this is not true. Sushmita told that how things started, “It was long back when Rohman sent her a DM on social media app Instagram. Though she doesn’t usually checks her DM but accidentally opened a DM which was sent by Rohman. She even replied to that message after which Rohman wrote back, I can’t believe you responded. They started talking and later Rohman invited her to watch his Football game to which Sushmita replied that it would not be fun and rather have a coffee. They finally met in real and within the first meeting itself, she felt that she had known him for her whole life. With time, they fall in love and now are living together in Mumbai.
Other than Rohman, she had a very colorful love life. The list of boyfriends that she dated in past is very long and includes famous personalities like Vikram Bhatt, Sabeer Bhatia, Randeep Hooda, Bunty Sachdeva, Wasim Akram, Ritik Bhasin, Sanjay Narang among few others.
Sushmita Sen Career
After winning Miss Universe in 1994, she became an actress and made her acting debut with movie Dastak where she played the role of a stalker. She then appeared in Tamil movie Ratchagan in 1997. Her career’s breakthrough role came after she did David Dhawan’s movie Biwi No.1 as Rupali. The movie was declared hit at the box office and she won her first award for “Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award”. Post that, she did number of movies like Aankhen, Main Hoon Na, Main Aisa Hi Hoon, Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya, Dulha Mil Gaya, etc. and made a strong place for herself in the acting world. Despite being a popular actress, she never shied away from trying something different and believed in living her life to the fullest.
There was a time in her life when she was battling Addison’s Disease and was on life-long steroid drugs to manage the illness, but with her dedication and healthy life style she managed to get back healthy. It won’t be wrong to say that she is quite an ideal role model for many people. Time and again, she proved that she rules the heart and can’t be forgotten.
Some Interesting and Lesser Known Facts About Her
Here are some incredible facts about Sushmita that truly makes her a diva. Have a look:
- She is the first Indian Women to win the prestigious title of Miss Universe. At the time of winning, she was 18 years in age. The year she participated was also the year when beautiful actress Aishwarya Rai had also participated in the competition, fearing Aishwarya as the obvious winner almost 25 participants withdrew their name but not Sushmita. She went ahead and won the title making India proud.
- The beautiful gown that she wore in the finals was not a designer one. It was stitched by a local tailor. Even the gloves that she wore were made of her socks. Since she belonged to a middle class family, her family couldn’t afford some high end brand. But despite this, nothing could stop Sushmita winning the title of Miss Universe.
- Not many people know that she adopted a daughter when she was only 25 years in age. This raised many eyebrows and was even advised against it but she went ahead with her decision without caring about the opinions of others and adopted a beautiful daughter.
- After sometime, she decided to add some more responsibilities to her life by adopting a second daughter. Being a single mother of one daughter, it was nevertheless a big decision for second adoption but she did it anyways. Even the court denied for the second adoption but she at last, finally won and started embracing her motherhood.
- She is one of those actresses who has always stood by her choices. Be it about her relationships, career choices, personal decisions, she has been open about everything and has never given justification for it to anyone.
- The actress never shies about doing anything which she loves. Not many people know that Sushmita has never been so fluent in English as she is now. It was at the age of 16, when she decided to learn English and soon mastered it.
- She is very generous and never steps back from donating money to good causes. One of the most closest cause to her heart is development and education of girl child. Time and again, she promotes this cause and even heads a foundation for the same called, I Am.
- If you are her fan, you must know her love for poetry. Not only she loves reading poetries but also writes pretty well. She has been doing it since her college days and believes poetry is beautiful as it emotes many other emotions as well. Not only she but her grandfather as well, was fond of poetries.
- She is not someone who stands in group but is a very distinct person with her own standards of living her life to her terms.
- In an interview, she revealed that during her school days she was a tomboy and used to hangout with boys all the time. But by becoming Miss Universe and popular model internationally, she broke many stereotypes of modeling including modeling is considered a feminine profession.
- Despite winning the title of Miss Universe only at the age of 18, she went ahead and acquired a degree in journalism.
- After she won the beauty pageant Miss Universe, she was flooded with many modeling and movie offers. Among so many, she chose Mahesh Bhatt’s movie Dastak, which turned out to be one of the biggest flops of that year. However, she successfully made her place in the industry with her work in later movies that she did.
- In 2000, she won her first award for movie “Biwi No.1” opposite actor Salman Khan as Rupali.
- She had done various roles in her career but never had got the chance to drape a saree around herself until she did super hit Bollywood movie “Main Hoon Na” opposite actor Shahrukh Khan.
- Even after so many years of working in the industry, she still maintains a perfect figure that one dreams of. And the whole credit for this goes to Yoga which she is extremely passionate for and considers her Fitness Mantra.
Sushmita Sen Favorites
Destinations-Dubai and Maldives
Actors- Salman Khan and Arjun Rampal
Actresses- Angelina Jolie
Food- Chocolate Fudge and Sushi