Name- Sushil Kumar
Date of Birth- 26 May 1983
Age- 35 years(as in 2018)
Mother- Kamla Devi
Father- Diwan Singh
Sister– Not Known
Brother- Not Known
Marital Status/Marriage- Married to Savi Kumar
Wife- Savi Kumar
Height- 5’5 approx.
Weight- 67kg approx.
Net Worth- N/A
Sushil Kumar is an Indian freestyle wrestler. His successful wrestling journey began in 1998 World Cadet Games where he bagged the gold medal. Right after entering into the wrestling world, he has made India proud nationally and internationally. Later in the year 2003, he bagged bronze medal at Asian Wrestling Championship and gold medal at Commonwealth Wrestling Championships. He was inspired to take up wrestling as his career from a very young age and is the first Indian wrestler to win back to back individual Olympic medals. He won the silver medal at 2012 London Olympics and bronze medal at 2008 Beijing Olympics. Sushil, without a doubt has inspired many youngsters to take wrestling as a career.
Facts About Sushil Kumar
- Salman Khan and Amitabh Bachchan are his Favorite Actors.
- Paranthas are his Favorite Food. He is complete vegetarian.
- Workout is his all time Favorite Hobby.
- Lionel Messy is his Favorite Sportsperson.
- He started wrestling at an early age of 14 and made India proud by winning gold at the World Cadet Championships in the year 1998.
- He is the first Indian who has won 2 Olympic medals.
- Being a sportsperson, he once refused the offer of endorsing a liquor, thinking it would send wrong message to the youngsters.
- It was his father and cousin who inspired him to join wrestling.
- Apart from wrestling, he also has a charity foundation named Sushil 4 sports which helps the aspiring sports athletes from every field.
- In 2010 Commonwealth Games, he was voted as The Most Popular Athlete by other athletes.
- Sushil also works in Indian Railways as an Assistant Commercial Manager.
- In the year 2015, he along with Rannvijay Singha and Prince Narula co-hosted the reality show MTV Roadies.
- He is pure vegetarian and has also campaigned for PETA’s vegetarian campaign.
- He is the recipient of Arjuna Award, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award and Padma Shri Award.
Sushil Kumar Family
He was born to Diwan Singh and Kamla Devi into a moderate family of Baprola village, near Najafgarh in South West Delhi. His father was a bus driver in MTNL Delhi and mother was a housewife. He was inspired to take up wrestling because of his father and cousin Sandeep. His cousin stopped competing as their family can only support one wrestler. So, even with minimal funds and poor training facilities, his family made sure that he gets the required food supplements and other required things. They have supported him and ultimately Sushil made India proud with his hard work.
Sushil Kumar Wife
He is married to Savi Kumar. She is the daughter of known wrestler Satpal Singh. She is also a tennis player and has played at National level. The couple tied the knot in a private ceremony accompanied by friends and family in 2011. They are blessed with 2 sons.
Sushil Kumar Diet
He takes a balanced diet along with strict schedule for his training. His daily regime starts at 5am early in the morning including running, breakfast, post breakfast, lunch and dinner. He hits the bed by 10pm followed by proper training in between his full day. His diet includes fresh juice, eggs, milk, bread, bananas, paneer, roti, green vegetables, almonds, chappatis and other high protein vegetarian food.
Sushil Kumar Career
He started his wrestling career at the age of 14 in the Chhatrasal Stadium with minimal funds and poor training facilities. The wrestler did his training under famous wrestling coach Satpal. After few months of his training, he began competing on the junior circuit and won his first gold medal at World Cadet Games in the year 1998. Since then there is no looking back for him in his wrestling career. In 2000, he won the gold medal in Asian Junior Wrestling Championship and emerged as one of the top budding wrestlers of India. With his dedication and hard work, he soon turned pro wrestler and bagged his first Bronze in the year 2003.
He then won gold medal at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championship in London. He is one of the biggest sporting icons and has been seen in many commercials like Eicher Motors, Patanjali, Mountain Dew among many others.
Sushil Kumar Awards and Achievements
- Arjuna Award in 2005.
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Ward in 2008.
- Padma Shri Award in 2011.
Sushil Kumar Records
Few of his records are:
- Gold medal at London Commonwealth Championship in 2003.
- Bronze medal at New Delhi Asian Championships in 2003.
- Gold medal at Cape Town Commonwealth Championship in 2005.
- Gold medal at London Commonwealth Championship in 2007.
- Silver medal at Kyrgyzstan Asian Championships in 2007.
- Bronze Medal at Beijing Olympics in 2008.
- Bronze medal at Jeju Island Asian Championships in 2008.
- Gold medal at Jalandhar Commonwealth Championship in 2009.
- Gold medal at New Delhi Asian Championship in 2010.
- In 2010, Gold medal at Moscow World Championships.
- Gold medal at Delhi Commonwealth Games in 2010.
- Gold medal at Gold Coast Commonwealth Games in 2018.