Name- Tim Southee
Date of Birth- 11 December 1988
Age- 31 years(as in 2019)
Nationality- New Zealander
Mother- Joanne Southee
Father- Murray Southee
Sister- Jane Southee
Brother- Mark Southee
Marital Status/Marriage- Married
Wife- Brya Fahy
Son- Cooper Southee
Height- 6’2 approx.
Weight- 70kg approx.
Net Worth- N/A
Tim Southee Biography
Tim Southee is a New Zealand International Cricketer. He is primarily known for his right-arm fast-medium bowling and hard-hitting lower order batting skills. Born on 11 December 1988, he did his schooling from Whangarei Boy’s High School in New Zealand. He did his graduation from King’s College in Auckland. It was U-19 World Cup that rose him to fame in 2008. He ended the series as Man of The Match and made everyone notice him for his bowling skills. Southee took 5 wickets and made 77 off 40 balls in the second innings.
Interesting Facts About Tim Southee
- He made his cricket debut at the age of 19 years and is counted among the youngest New Zealand cricketers.
- At the age of 19, he represented New Zealand in U19 World Cup 2008 held at Bangladesh and took 5 wickets in the tournament. Though his team lost the match in finals.
- Later in 2008, irrespective of mediocre performance of his team, he managed to become the soul of team by picking up 17 wickets. He was tournament’s second highest wicket taker.
- In the same year, he made his T20I debut against England and took his first international wicket of “Paul Collingwood”.
- His worst bowling figure was against Australia and India. In his third ODI against India he gave away 105 runs in his 10 overs. This eventually made him dropped from the squad ICC Champions Trophy 2009 and the World T20 in the same year.
- And in World Cup 2011, he came back with a bang. He took 18 wickets and became the 3rd highest wicket taker of the tournament.
- In 2015 World Cup, Southee emerged as the backbone of New Zealand by picking up 15 wickets. It was the first time when New Zealand reached an ICC cricket World Cup final.
- One of his astonishing bowling was seen in World Cup 2015 against England where he bowled nine overs, took 7 wickets and gave only 33 runs. He won Man of The Match for his performance.
- Also, he has been one of the best tail-ender for few time period scoring 1000 runs in Test cricket with having 77 as his best score.
- He’s represented Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals and Mumbai Indians in the past seasons of Indian Premier League. In 2019, he played for Royal Challengers Banglore in IPL along with Virat Kohli, Dale Steyn, Mohammed Siraj, Yuzvendra Chahal etc.
- Apart from cricket, he excelled at Rugby as well and used to play it a lot during his school.
- He holds the record of being the only New Zealand bowler after Dion Nash who took 10 wicket haul at Lord’s in the debut Test Match.
- In 2017-18, he took the captaincy for T20I against West Indies when Kane Williamson decided to take rest.
Tim Southee Family
He was born in Whangarei, Northland in New Zealand into a middle class Christian family. His father name is Murray Southee and mother name is Joanne Southee. He has an elder sister named Jane Southee and elder brother named Mark Southee. He shares close bond with his family and has made them proud by being one of the known bowlers of New Zealand cricket team.
Tim Southee Wife/ Girlfriend
He is married to Brya Fahy. Brya is a makeup artist in a beauty salon located in New Zealand. The name of the salon is “The Sample Room”. She met Tim during a cricket match in 2011 and after a while they fell in love. The couple got married in a private wedding ceremony attended by close friends and family. They became proud parents of a son and named him Cooper Southee. They are living a happy family life and tim often shares amazing pictures with his family on his Instagram account.
Tim Southee Career
He made his career’s debut playing for New Zealand’s U19 team from 2006 to 2009. He was only 17 years when he made his debut in cricket in 2006 ICC World Cup against Bangladesh. Also, by the time of 2nd U19 World Cup, he had played two T20 international matches. In that very series, he became player of the tournament and took 17 wickets at average of giving only 3 runs per over. By the end of 2007-08 season, he became one of the most talented-successful bowlers and got selected in his first full international tour to England and then to Ireland and Scotland from May to July 2008.
Test Debut- On March 22, 2008 against England at McLaren Park.
ODI Debt- On June 15, 2008 against England at Riverside Ground, Chester-le-Street.
T20 Debut- On February 5, 2008 against England at Eden Park, Auckland.
Shine To Glory
His career’s turning point which rose him to fame came when he took 7 wickets against team England in World Cup 2015. His amazing performance in the match led New Zealand to chase target in just 12.2 overs.
Tim Southee’s Low Phase
His career’s low phase was in 2012 ICC World T20 against Sri Lanka and West Indies where he bowled in 2 super overs. And, things didn’t go his way and his team ended up losing both the matches. They got eliminated from the tournament.
Tim Southee Records
Here are few records hold by him:
- Best ODI performance for taking 7/33 wickets against England in World Cup 2015.
- Counted among the best tail-ender to scored over 1000 runs in Test Cricket.
- The only bowler after Dion Nash to take 10 wickets in his Test debut match.
- One of the youngest New Zealand’s youngest player who made his debut at the age of 19.
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram