Name- Virat Kohli
Date of Birth- 5 November 1988
Age- 32 years(as in 2020)
Mother- Saroj Kohli
Father- Prem Kohli
Sister– Bhavana Kohli
Brother- Vikas Kohli
Marital Status/Marriage- Married
Wife- Anushka Sharma
Height- 5’9 approx.
Weight- 70kg approx.
Net Worth- US$22million approx.
Salary- Retainer Fee- INR 8 crores Approx.
Test- INR 17 Lakhs Approx.
ODI- INR 6 Lakhs Approx.
T20- INR 3 Lakhs Approx.
IPL- INR 18 Crores Approx.
Virat Kohli Biography
Virat Kohli is an Indian International Cricketer. He is primarily known as right-handed top-order batsman. He is regarded as one of the best batsmen in the world of cricket. Born on 5 November 1988, he did his schooling from Vishal Bharti Public School and Saviour Convent Senior Secondary School in New Delhi, India. Considered to be amongst the best batsmen, he is known for his powerful batting style which has single handedly won many matches for team India. He became fascinated towards cricket at the age of 3 only and started taking cricket training in Delhi at the age of 9. Over the years, he developed into a very talented player who has captioned India Under-19s to victory at the 2008 Under-19 World Cup. He has proved his mettle in every format of the game since his debut on International cricket in the year 2008. Not only for team India, he also plays important role in Indian Premier League for team Royal Challengers Bangalore.
Favorite Things of Virat Kohli
- Amitabh Bachchan, Aamir Khan and Johnny Depp are his Favorite Actors.
- Penelope Cruz, Katrina Kaif and Aishwarya Rai are his Favorite Actresses.
- Eminem, Arijit Singh and Asrar are his Favorite Musicians.
- Cricket and Football are his Favorite Sports.
- Sachin Tendulkar, Chris Gayle, Shane Watson and AB de Villers are his Favorite Cricketers.
- Shane Warne and Ashish Nehra are hia Favorite Bowlers.
- Roger Federer is his Favorite Tennis Player.
- Travelling and working out are his Favorite Hobbies.
- Wankhede Stadium and Adelaide Oval are his Favorite Ground.
- History was his Favorite Subject.
- He used to hate Maths in his childhood days.
- He never forgets to wear his “Kada” before matches.
- Chikoo is his Nickname.
- His first coach was Rajkumar Sharma.
- He loves tattoos and has inked number of tattoos on his body.
- Virat is a big time fitness freak and never misses to hit the gym every day to keep himself fit.
- He is frightened of heights.
- His highest qualification is till 12th standard.
Facts About Virat Kohli
- Virat Kohli is one of the efficient cricketer and captain of Indian cricket team.
- He became interested in cricket when he was only 3 years in age. At that age, he used to swing his bat and ask his father to bowl him.
- Seeing his interest towards cricket, his father enrolled him in West Delhi Cricket Academy at the time when he was only 9 years old.
- He is so passionate about cricket that he went to play cricket the next day his father died as for him leaving a match incomplete is a sin. After his father’s death his family went through many problems but under all these circumstances as well he followed his passion.
- In November 2002, he played in U15 Polly team and became the leading run scorer during 2002-03 Polly Umrigar Trophy tournament. And the very next year he became the captain of the team.
- In 2004, he played for Delhi in under-17 Vijay Marchant Trophy and scored 470 runs in 4 matches with average of 117.50.
- Then finally in July 2006, he got selected in Indian Cricket Team under-19 squad for the tour against England. After 2 years, he even captained the under-19 world cup 2008.
- After his consistence performance in the domestic cricket, he got selected for ODI team squad against Sri Lanka as both openers of India Sachin Tendulkar and Virendra Sehwag were unwell.
- His performance went on to get better with time and he won his first Man of The Match after scoring unbeaten 79 against West Indies during ICC Champions Trophy.
- He was part of 2011 world cup winning team, he was the first and only Indian to score a century on the 2011 world cup.
- At the age of 23, he became the cricketer of the year by ICC.
- In 29 test matches, he scored 1855 runs and 6 centuries and thereafter made many records.
- He also scored 28 centuries in one day matches. Owing to his great performance, Sportspro has rated him as the 13th most marketable sportsperson in the world
- In 2019 he became the Captain of Indian Cricket Team after M.S Dhoni.
- Virat Kohli is one of the finest Indian player in the history of cricket who has millions of followers from all over the world. He is an inspiration to kids and youngsters.
- He owns a restaurant in Delhi named “Nueva”.
Virat Kohli Family
He was born into a middle class Punjabi Khatri family. His father name is Prem Kohli who was a criminal lawyer and mother name is Saroj Kohli, a housemaker. He has an elder brother named Vikas Kohli and elder sister named Bhavana. According to his family, when Virat was 3 years old, he would pick up the bat and ask his father to bowl him. Soon after witnessing his talent, his father took him to Rajkumar Sharma for training session. Virat was so passionate about cricket that the next day after his father’s death, he came and played a crucial knock for his team in the ongoing Ranji tournament.
Virat Kohli Girlfriends
He is now married to actress Anushka Sharma. Though before dating her, he has been linked with many beauties. Here is the list of actresses whom Virat Dated before marrying Anushka. Have a look:
Sakshi Agarwal- Sakshi is an Indian film actress who is known for her work in Tamil industry. She was once dating Virat but their relationship didn’t last and the two broke up.
Sarah-jane Dias- She is winner of Femina Miss India 2007 and was also in the girl-friend list of Virat Kohli. They were introduced by a common friend and started dating but slowly their relationship turned ugly and they broke up.
Izabelle Leite- This brazillian model has also dated Virat once. They were together for almost two years but at last they ended the relationship mutually.
Tammanah Bhatia- There was a big rumour that Kohli and Tammanah were in a relationship. However they never made it public so no one still knows much about it.
Virat Kohli Wife
The wonder boy of the cricket, Virat is married to finest beauty of Bollywood Anushka Sharma. They met each other on the sets of a TV commercial in 2013. After this they became good friends and were spotted together at various events & places. In no time, the rumors of them dating became talk of the town. While these two didn’t accept their relationship in public, they were often spotted together spending time with each other. And finally in 2014, the two of them made their first public appearance together after they went to watch Indian Super League game. In the same year, Virat achieved a milestone against Sri Lanka in November 2014 and he blew a flying kiss to Anushka who was among the spectators confirming about his relationship.
Apparently some problems came in between two in 2016 after Virat wanted to settle down but Anushka on the other hand wanted to focus on her career. Later things get worse and they broke up with each other by unfollowing each other on Instagram. But as they say true love could not live without each other, the two came back together as strong couple. And finally after dating for more than 4 years, the couple got hitched in a private wedding ceremony on 11 December 2017, in Italy. Their fans fondly calls them Virushka.
Virat Kohli Career/ Debut
In 1998, he started training at West Delhi Cricket Academy to fulfill his dream of becoming a cricketer. By the year 2002, he started playing for team Delhi U-15. Later during 2003-04 Polly Umrigar Trophy, he became the captain for his team. In the same year, he played in Vijay Merchant Trophy as part of U-17 Delhi team. In 2006, he made his List A debut against Services and was then selected for India U-19 squad in the same year. Later in early 2008, he captained Indian U-19 team for ICC U19 Cricket World Cup and led his team to victory. Throughout his journey of playing domestic cricket, he has made many records. Owing to his consistency in domestic cricket, he got the opportunity to play in International Indian cricket team on 18 August 2008.
He made his International Debut as on:
- ODI- On 18 August 2008 against Sri Lanka at Dambulla.
- T20- On 12 June 2010 against Zimbabwe at Harare.
- Test- On 20 June 2011 against West Indies at Kingston
Virat Kohli Awards
Here are some awards and milestones received by Indian Cricketer Virat Kohli. Have a look:
- 2013- Won Arjuna Award
- 2017- Won Padma Shri which is India’s fourth highest civilian award.
- 2018- Won Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
- 2017 & 2018- Won Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy.
- 2012, 2017 & 2018- Won ICC ODI Player of the Year
- 2018- Won ICC Test Player of the Year
- 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017 & 2018- Won ICC ODI Team of the Year
- 2017 & 2018- Won Barmy Army for International Player of the Year
- 2018-19- Won CEAT International Cricketer of the Year
- 2018- Won Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World
Virat Kohli Achievements/ Records
He is regarded as one of the best batsmen in the world who has been constantly ranked as one of the most influential people in the world. Here are some achievements and records made by the world’s one of the best player:
- Holds the record for seven double tons in Tests.
- He has made the record for most number of double centuries equaling the likes of cricketers Mahela Jayawardene and Wally Hammond.
- Made record for scoring most number of 150 plus scores in tests surpassing Bradman’s record.
- Fourth-fastest player to made 26 Test tons. Also, fourth player to score ton in 50th match as captain.
- Fastest 25 ODI tons.
- He is the first Indian skipper to have 5 successive wins in Test Series.
- Only Indian to average 50 in the T20 format including the only batsmen in the history of cricket to have 50+ average across in Test and ODI format.
- Scored 1,000 runs in three consecutive calendar years from 2016 to 2018.
- Most double 100s as Test skipper.
- Indian captain with most overseas wins.
- Fastest batsman to reach 10,000 ODI runs.
- One of his biggest achievement was to make 973 runs in 2016 IPL which helped team to reach in ultimate stage.
- Fastest player to score 19000 runs in international cricket.
- He surpassed Indian captain MS Dhoni by making 11208 runs in just 199 innings whereas Dhoni took 330 innings to score 11,207 runs.
- His another biggest record is making 20,000 runs in a decade. From 2010 to 2020 he scored this much run.
- In 2017 he became the fastest international player to score 15,000 runs and he made most double centuries in test matches. Also in the same year he again became the fastest batsman to score 2000 runs in T20 International.
- He is not only an outstanding batsman but also a great Captain. Recently he became the best Indian test captain by leading India 28 test victories.
Virat Kohli IPL
He started his IPL career with team Royal Challengers Bangalore as a young emerging player in 2008. Before establishing himself under Daniel Vittori, he learned under the wings of legendary crickerters Rahul Dravid and Anil Kumble. Initially, his journey in the team was not free-flowing start, he struggled to find his essence in the respective tournaments. Having learnt the ropes in first five years cycle, he became the third highest run getter by 2013 IPL season. Over the period of time, he developed an affection with the franchise and became the only player who has been part of a single franchise for the entire duration of tournament. It was IPL from where his career started to flourish and soon he became the best player across all formats of game.
Virat Kohli Controversies
Beside all his achievements, Virat Kohli is also very popular for controversies as well. Over the years he has been involved in many controversies. Following are some of them:
- The “HAND GESTURE”. In 2012, during India-Australia test match in Sydney, Kohli showed middle figure to the crowd at Sydney Cricket ground. After that he was fined 50% of his match fee for making this offensive gesture and acting in an unprofessional manner. He later defended his actions on the twitter by tweeting,
“I agree cricketers don’t have to retaliate. what when the crowd says the worst things about your mother and sister. the worst I’ve heard (sic)”.
- The rift between him and Anil Kumble who was then the coach of Indian cricket team. Kohli opposed his decisions many times which resulted in big clash between both of them. The way Kohli handled the entire situation and the way he treated with cricket legend was very disappointing. Many of Virat’s fans and former players also criticized him for the incident. In 2017 after the ICC champions trophy Anil kumble stepped down from the post of coach saying Thankyou in his tweet as
I am honoured by the confidence reposed in me by CAC, in asking me to continue as Head Coach. The credit for the achievements goes to the Captain, the entire team, coaching and supporting staff. Post this intimation, I was informed for the first time yesterday by the BCCI that the Captain had reservations with my ‘style’ and about my continuing as the Head Coach. I was surprised since I had always respected the role boundaries between Captain and Coach. Though the BCCI attempted to resolve the misunderstandings between Captain and me, it was apparent that the partnership was untenable, and I therefore believe it is best for me to move on. Professionalism, discipline, commitment, honesty, complementary skills and diverse views are the key traits I bring to the table. These need to be valued for the partnership to be effective. I see the Coach’s role akin to ‘holding a mirror’ to drive self-improvement in the team’s interest. In light of these ‘reservations’, I believe it is best I hand over this responsibility to whomever the CAC and BCCI deem fit. Let me reiterate that it has been an absolute privilege to have served as Head Coach for the last one year. I thank the CAC, BCCI, CoA, and all the concerned. I also wish to thank the innumerable followers and fans of Indian cricket for their continued support. I will remain a well-wisher of the great cricketing tradition of my country forever. – ANIL KUMBLE
- Altercation with Gautam Gambhir. During a match in IPL 6 between KKR and RCB, Gautam Gambhir and Virat Kohli were involved in a heated argument. Argument went bigger and the players and umpires had to intervene to bring the situation under control.
- Virat and Anushka Sharma has been an adorable couple and often gives relationship goals to all. During 2015 IPL he invited his girl-friend Anushka to the pavilion but this was against the rules set by board which clearly stated that no one is allowed into the pavilion except the players and the officials of BCCI. For this he was given a warning by the cricket board for breaking the rule and wasn’t punished for it.
- Virat Kohli is extremely protective for his lady love. In 2015, he shouted abuse at a journalist for his article on Anushka Sharma. But later it turned out that the journalist didn’t even write anything like that. In the end, Kohli apologized to the journalist for his unruly behavior.
- In 2017 during India vs Australia home series, lots of controversies banter between these two teams. This started when Steve Smith was adjudged LBW in 2nd test and he gazed at the dressing room to seek advice whether he should go for review or not. As players are not allowed to take external help while making decisions on reviews, this irked Indian captain Virat Kohli and he insinuated the Australian player Smith of unethical practises during the Test.
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram