Name- Washington Sundar
Date of Birth- 5 October 1999
Age- 21 years(as in 2020)
Mother- Name Not Known
Father- M. Sundar
Marital Status/Marriage- Unmarried
Height- 6’1 approx.
Weight- 70kg approx.
Net Worth- N/A
Washington Sundar Biography
Washington Sundar is an Indian cricketer. He is primarily known as a left handed batsmen and right arm off spinner. Born on 5 October 1999, he did his schooling from St. Bede’s School in Chennai. He came into limelight after his noticeable performance in Vijay Hazare Trophy. With his amazing performance in the domestic circuit, he was selected in IPL for team Rising Pune Supergiants in 2017 and played a crucial role in their journey of reaching to the finals. Right from the start of his cricket career, he has steadily climbed his place in team India.
Facts About Washington Sundar
- He was named by his father as Washington to pay tribute to Mr. Washington who used to pay his father’s fee and buy him bats.
- Always wanted to make his career in cricket, he started playing cricket at the age of 11.
- Initially, he started off as a wicketkeeper batsmen but later switched over to off-spinner. In an interview to Firstpost, he said,
“One thing my dad made sure was that he didn’t want me to stand still after I finished my batting. He wanted me to try things, bowl off-spin, leg-spin, medium-pace, and keep wickets. By the time I was in sixth standard, I was able to do everything, so I had options of doing different things for different teams that I played”.
- It was his bowling style that got him into the IPL team “Rising Pune Supergiants” after he bowled well to Australian captain Steve Smith with a great delivery in the nets.
- At the age of 13, he impressed Globe Trotters coach M Senthilnathan with the ability of handling quality bowls. After this, he was immediately shifted to first division cricket to play for Tamil Nadu.
- His first big break came in 2014 when he was selected to be a part of U19 squad at the age of 15 only. Following this, he played amazingly well and led his team to the finals of U19 ICC World Cup in 2016.
- After his decent performance in cricket U19 level, he made his first class debut on 6 October 2016 for Tamil Nadu. However, he didn’t get to bowl in the first innings but scored straight 40 runs in second innings impressing everyone as an opener.
- Later in 2016 Tamil Nadu Premier League, he impressed everyone with his bowling skills and ended the tournament by picking up 11 wickets in 9 matches.
- His career’s one of the best performance was in Vijay Hazare Trophy where he didn’t contribute much with his bat but played exceedingly well with his off-spin bowling. He did a good job with maintaining economy rate of 3.93 in the 9 matches.
- In 2017, he was selected by Rising Pune Supergiants as a replacement to Indian bowler Ravichandran Ashwin. He didn’t disappointed the selectors and played crucial role for RPS in IPL 2017.
- In the same year, he made his ODI debut for India against Sri Lanka on 13 December.
- He is the one of youngest cricketers who made his debut for India on International stage.
- In 2019, he played in IPL for Royal Challengers Bangalore along with cricketers like Shivam Dube, Yuzvendra Chahal, Virat Kohli, Tim Southee, etc.
Washington Sundar Family
He was born in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India into a middle class Hindu family. His father name is M. Sundar and mother name is not known. He has an elder sister named Shailja who is also a cricketer. His father was also a cricketer who has played for Tamil Nadu Ranji but could not make it to team India. So, he always dreamed of his children achieving the same for him and helped them giving all the training required. With his dedication and hard work, Washington got the chance to play for team India and made his father really proud of him.
Washington Sundar Girlfriend/ Wife
He is currently single and not dating anyone. At this moment, he is focusing entirely on his cricket career. Despite being one of the rising star cricketer of Indian team, there is no buzz of him dating anyone. He has lots of female friends but none of them are his love interest.
Washington Sundar Career
He started playing cricket at the age of 11 and made his first class debut for Tamil Nadu on 6 October 2016. Earlier, he used to be a batsmen but later moulded himself into a fine off-spinner. Right from the beginning of his cricket journey on domestic field to International field, he has achieved a lot and has made many records. In 2016, he was selected for India U19 world cup and performed well in the tournament. During 2017-18, he scored his first class maiden century playing for Tamil Nadu. Even on International stage, he came out as one of the most promising youngsters with sparkling future ahead.
Washington Sundar International Debut
With his on-field tactics, he managed to get a place for himself in team India. He has made his debut for team India as follows:
- ODI- On 13 December 2017 against Sri Lanka.
- T20- On 24 December 2017 against Sri Lanka.
Washington Sundar Shine To Glory
With his incredibly amazing performance on the field, he grabbed the eyeballs of selectors on him and got the chance to play in IPL for Rising Pune Supergiants in 2017. In the same year in October, he scored his first maiden century in 2017-18 Ranji Trophy playing for Tamil Nadu against Tripura. Seeing his overall performances in the past few years, the selectors drafted him into the Indian team squad for series against Sri Lanka in 2017 giving him the biggest breakthrough of his career. While playing for India, he was praised by many players for his economical bowling. Later, he became regular member of Indian team for many series.
Washington Sundar Records
Following are the records made by him:
- During Tamil Nadu Premier League, he took 11 wickets in 9 matches at 5.54 economy rate.
- In his first class debut match (2016), he scored straight 40 runs as the opener in second innings.
- In 2017 while playing for RPS against Mumbai Indians, he took 3 wickets for 16 runs helping his team to get into the finals.
- Later in 2018 Nidahas Trophy, he bagged maiden 3 wicket haul and became the youngest T20I player to do so.
- On 24 December 2017, he became the youngest player to debut for India in T20Is.
Washington Sundar IPL
In 2017, he was selected by RPS in Indian Premier League as replacement of Ravichandran Ashwin. He gave incredible performance in the tournament and also became Man of the Match in 1st qualifier played between Mumbai Indians and RPS. Later in January 2018, he was bought by Royal Challengers Bangalore in the auction.
View this post on Instagram