Name- Deepika Chikhalia
Date of Birth- 29 April 1965
Age- 55 years(as in 2020)
Mother- Name Not Known
Father- Rajesh T. Chikhalia
Sister– Arti Chikhalia
Brother- Himanshu Chikhalia
Marital Status/Marriage- Married
Husband- Hemant Topiwala
Daughter- Nidhi Topiwala and Juhi Topiwala
Height- 5’2 approx.
Weight- 62kg approx.
Net Worth- N/A
Deepika Chikhalia Biography
Deepika Chikhalia is an Indian actress and politician. She is primarily known for her work in television and Bollywood industry. Born on 29 April 1965, she completed her graduation in BA from University of Mumbai in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The actress rose to fame for portraying the role of “Sita” in mythological Ramanand Sagar’s hit television series Ramayan. She garnered huge fame and became the biggest star of 1980s in a true sense. Besides being an actress, she is also a painter, business women and former parliamentarian. She has lots of followers from all over the world who loves her immensely for her acting skills.
Facts About Deepika Chikhalia
- Salman Khan and Amitabh Bachchan are her Favorite Actors.
- Kareena Kapoor Khan and Sridevi are her Favorite Actresses.
- Cricket is her Favorite Sports.
- Sachin Tendulkar is her Favorite Cricketer.
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Sushma Swaraj are her Favorite Politicians.
- Maldives, Goa, Nepal and UK are her Favorite Destinations.
- Travelling, Painting and Reading are her Favorite Hobbies.
- In 1983, she made her acting debut with Bollywood movie “Sun Meri Laila”.
- Post that she did number of flop movies like Bhagwan Dada (1986), Kala Dhanda Goray Log (1986) and Doorie (1989) and played lead heroine in the B grade horror film Cheekh (1986) and Raat Ke Andhere Mein (1987), which were box office failures.
- Her career’s turning point came after she did lead role of Sita in Ramanand Sagar’s hit television series Ramayan, which gave her national fame.
- She became so much so popular that her loyal fans even had the pictures of the lead pair as Ram and Sita in their drawing room.
- After show Ramayan, she became so popular that she became the first choice of every film maker and ad makers in late 1980s and 90s.
- Following this, she did other television serials and movies in various languages including Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Hindi and more.
- The actress took a long sabbatical after she got married to Gujrat based businessmen Hemant Topiwala.
- In 1991, she moved to politics and won from Vadodara constituency (in Gujarat) as an MP.
- And after a long period of 23 years, she made her comeback with Gujarati serial “Chhuta Chheda” which was based on real life of couples.
- The actress always wears Jeans and sarees in her real life as she believes that wearing “Short clothes” can upset people since she played the role of Sita on screen and doesn’t want to hurt the sentiments of other people.
- In the year 2020, she posted a picture of the Ramayan trio who played the role of Ram, Laxman and Sita, played by Arun Govil, Sunil Lahri, and Deepika Chikhalia respectively on her Instagram account.
View this post on Instagram
- Other than acting and politics, she is also a women activist who has been associated with many non-profit organizations, working to strengthen women empowerment.
- She is an ardent lover of Lord Ganesha.
Deepika Chikhalia Family
She was born in Mumbai, Maharashtra into a middle class Gujarati Hindu family. Her father name is Rajesh T. Chikhalia and mother name is not known. She has a sister named Arti Chikhalia and a brother named Himanshu Chikhalia. The actress shares close bond with her family and often shares amazing pictures with them on her Instagram account. She has made her family proud by being one of the known actresses of the entertainment industry.
Deepika Chikhalia Husband/ Boyfriend
She is married to Hemant Topiwala. He is the owner of Shingar Bindi and Tips and Toes cosmetics. It was an arrange marriage fixed by their parents. Though before giving the consent to the marriage, she took her time and went out with him to know him better. The couple got married on 22 November 1991 in a private wedding ceremony. They are blessed with two daughters named Juhi Topiwala and Nidhi Topiwala. The couple is madly in love with each other and she often shares amazing pictures with him and her daughters on her Instagram account.
Deepika Chikhalia Career/ Movies
She started her career with movie “Sun Meri Laila” as main lead in 1983. Her debut movie didn’t work well at the box office and she did not get any A grade movie till 1987. Later in 1985, she did popular television serial “Dada Daadi Ki Kahani” along with several flop movies like Bhagwan Dada, Kala Dhanda Goray Log, Doorie in supporting roles. Thereafter, she did some B grade movies including Cheekh (1986) and Raat Ke Andhere Mein (1987), which failed at box office very badly. However later, she regretted on doing B grades films and considers it as her career’s biggest mistake.
After this, she finally got 2 hit movies to her name which were “Ghar Ka Chiraag” and Rupaye Dus Karod starring actor Rajesh Khanna in the main lead. Following this, she did number of movies but rose to fame in 1994 for her movie “Khudai”. Other than Hindi movies, she has worked in Malayalam, Bhojpuri, Telugu, Bengali, Kannada and Gujarati movies including movies Ithile Iniyum Varu, Sajanwa Bairi Bhaile Hamar, Indrajith, Periya Idathu Pillai and more.
The actress then took a long break from the industry of about 23 years, and later made her comeback in 2018 with movie “Gaalib”. Here is the list of movies she has been part of:
Year Movies Language
1983 Sun Meri Laila Hindi
1985 Paththar Hindi
1986 Cheekh Hindi
1986 Bhagwaan Dada Hindi
1986 Ghar Sansar Hindi
1986 Ithile Iniyum Varu Malayalam
1987 Raat Ke Andhere Mein Hindi
1987 Sajanwa Bairi Bhaile Hamar Bhojpuri
1989 Indrajith Kannada
1989 Ghar Ka Chiraag Hindi
1989 Asha O Bhalobasha Bengali
1989 Yamapasam Telugu
1990 Hosa Jeevana Kannada
1990 Periya Idathu Pillai Tamil
1991 Kaala Chakra Kannada
1991 Brahmarshi Vishwamitra Telugu
1991 Rupaye Dus Karod Hindi
1992 Naangal Tamil
1994 Khudai Hindi
1989 Jode Rahejo Raj Gujarati
1992 Laju Lakhan Gujarati
2018 Gaalib Hindi
2018 Natsamrat Gujarati
2019 Bala Hindi
Deepika Chikhalia Television Shows
She is an Indian actress who rose to fame for portraying the role of “Devi Sita” in mythological show “Ramayan” in 1987. After this show, she became the household name and got immense popularity & limelight for her role. Her character in the show is known to be her career’s most iconic role that is remembered by people even now. However, before getting the role in Ramayan, she has worked with Ramanand Sagar in two of his serials “Dada Daadi Ki Kahani” and “Vikram and Betaal”. The director was so impressed with her that he hired her for the role of Sita in his 3rd serial “Ramayan”. Other than these serials, she has worked in serial Luv Kush in 1988. For a while, she quit acting to focus in her personal life but made her comeback in television industry again with serial “Chutta Chheda” in 2017.
Deepika Chikhalia Politics
Followed up with movies and television shows, she moved into politics as a Member of Parliament in Indian Lok Sabha from Baroda in 1991 as BJP candidate. While talking about her decision to move in politics, she said “My grandfather was actively involved in RSS and so I had RSS root in my family way long before I entered”. The actress considers politician Atal Bihari Vajpayee as her idol and shared close bond with Late politician Sushma Swaraj. Also, in the initial years of her political career, she has worked with politicians like Narendra Modi and L K Advani.
View this post on Instagram