Name- Farhan Akhtar
Date of Birth- 9 January 1974
Age- 46 years(as in 2020)
Mother- Honey Irani
Father- Javed Akhtar
Sister– Zoya Akhtar
Marital Status/Marriage- Divorced
Wife- Adhuna Bhabani (m.2000-2016)
Daughter- Shakya & Akira
Height- 5’9 approx.
Net Worth- Rs.144 Crores approx.
Farhan Akhtar Biography
Farhan Akhtar is an Indian actor, director, singer, producer, screenwriter and tv host. He grew up under the influence of Bollywood industry as his parents are known screenwriters of the Hindi cinema. He began his career as an assistant director with movie Lamhe and Himalay Putra before making his debut as a director with movie Dil Chahta Hai. Farhan is one of the multi-talented personality of Bollywood who has not just directed some of the best movies like Dil Chahta Hai, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, etc. but has also given performances in super hit movies like Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, Rock On, and many more. Be it his husky voice or unique choices, he has walked every mile with equal gusto. Lets’ move to know more about his family, wife, career, girlfriend, unknown facts and more.
Farhan Akhtar Family
He was born in Mumbai, India into a high class Muslim family. His father name is Javed Akhtar, known screenwriter/ lyricist/ poet of Bollywood industry and mother name is Honey Irani, an actress and screenwriter. He has a sister named Zoya Akhtar who is a popular director-writer of the industry. His parents divorced when he was a kid and later his father married actress Shabana Azmi. He does not believe in any religion and grew up in an agnostic environment along with his sister.
Farhan is grandson of Urdu poet Jan Nisar Akhtar and great grandson of Muztar Khairabadi. Also, Farah Khan and Sajid Khan are his cousins. He completed his schooling from Maneckji Cooper school in Mumbai. Later, he went to HR College to study law degree.
Farhan Akhtar Girlfriend
He is dating VJ Shibani Dandekar. They met on the sets of TV show “I Can Do That” which was hosted by Farhan himself. Shibani was one of the contestants in the show along with Gurmeet Choudhary, VJ Bani, etc. They bonded well on the show and the rumors of them started making news after Shibani posted a picture of herself in which she was holding someone’s hand, whose back was at the camera. Later, Farhan shared the same picture on his social media account and confirmed their dating rumors.
The couple shares their amazing pictures together on their respective social media account. They are soon to get married and are madly in love with each other. Before dating Shibani, his name was also linked with several actress like Shraddha Kapoor and Aditi Rao Hydari.
Farhan Akhtar Wife
He was married to hair stylist Adhuna Bhabani. They first met during the shoots of his directorial debut Dil Chahta Hai which was also Adhuna’s debut as a Bollywood hairstylist. In no time, they became good friends and started dating. After dating for 3 years, they tied the knot in 2000. The couple have two adorable daughters named Shakya and Akira. They were known to be one of the finest couples of the industry but unfortunately, they announced their separation after 16 years of happy married life.
Farhan Akhtar Career
He started his career as an assistant director at the age of 17 with movie Lamhe in 1991. After this, he worked for three years with “Script Shop” which is an advertisement production house. Then in 1997, he worked as an assistant director in movie Himalay Putra. Post this, he started his own production house named “Excel Entertainment” along with Ritesh Sidhwani.
In 2001, he made his debut as a director with movie Dil Chahta Hai. The movie even won the National Film Award. After making his debut as a director, he then debuted as a producer with movie “Don-The Chase Begins Again”. He has produced several hit movies like King is Back, Fukrey, Dil Dhadakne Do, etc.
In 2008, he made his debut as an actor and singer with movie Rock On. He has acted in many super hit movies including Karthik Calling Karthik, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, Toofan, etc. It won’t be wrong to say that he is one of the multi-talented personality of the industry who has made everyone proud of his work and talents. Not just acting, directing, producing but he is also a great writer and television host. Time and again, he has proved his talents and his fans loves everything about him.
Farhan Akhtar Controversies
It is quite difficult to stay away from controversy especially when you are a public figure and Farhan is no different. Below we’ve mentioned some of the controversies that he has been part of:
- In the year 2017, political party BJP’s spokesperson GVL Narasimha Rao passed a negative comment on Tamil movie “Mersal” controversy. Later, Farhan too tweeted and took a dig at him.
- During 2018 #metoo storm, a model accused producer Sajid Khan of exploiting her to which Farhan criticized Sajid by tweeting. Sajid is cousin of Farhan. Later, Farhan was also criticized by the netizens for not knowing about his cousin brother’s behavior.
Some Lesser Known and Unknown Facts About Farhan Akhtar
Below we have listed some unknown facts about superstar Farhan. Have a look:
- He kick-started his career in the industry as an assistant director for two films in the 90s with movies like Lamhe and Himalay Putra.
- In 2001, he made his directorial debut with super hit movie Dil Chahta Hai starring actors Aamir Khan, Saif Ali Khan and Akshaye Khanna.
- He wrote movie Dil Chahta Hai after his mother treated him to throw out of the house if he won’t do anything in his life.
- His favorite genre is action. During the filming of his movie Wazir which had many action scenes, he even punched Zoya by mistake as he was so much into the scenes.
- Since his childhood, he has been a filmy child and used to roam in his house with a toy gun pretending there are villains around him.
- Not many people know this but Farhan was a very naughty child. Once her mother shared an incident in which she said, “While I was busy in meeting, Farhan came and asked me to bath in my bathroom to which I agreed. Later, I found that he was bathing on her bed with a tub and mug in his hand.”
- During his college days, once he was dismissed from the HR College in second year.
- In 2004, he wrote lyrics for Gurinder Chadha’s movie titled “Bride and Prejudice”.
- He has watched movie Sholay around 50 times but does not find it perfect. Instead, for him movie “Deewar” is much stronger.
- Farhan has big phobia of cockroaches which he believes he’ll overcome one day.
- According to reports, movie Rang De Basanti was first offered to Farhan before Aamir Khan.
- Hollywood actor Robert Di Nero is his biggest inspiration and in Bollywood, he is big fan of actors Vijay Anand, Guru Dutt, Bimal Roy and Raj Kapoor.
- He doesn’t like unorganized things and places and wants everything at his place.
- It is seen that most of his movies revolve around friendship only. This is because when his parents divorced, it was his friends who became his support system at that time.
- He is founder of MARD (Men Against Rape and Discrimination) and UN Women’s Goodwill Ambassador.
- For his movie Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, he used to do extreme workout for about 18 months.
- He believes he is a better actor as compared to director.
- One of the worst moments of his life was during 1992-93 riots when he had to face controversy because he was a Muslim.
- Post his college, he didn’t work for 2 years and used to spent time on VHS. He called it his school film course of 2 years.
- He is an all-rounder of the industry who is not just an actor but also a singer, producer, director and writer as well.