Name- Richa Chadda
Date of Birth- 18 December 1988
Age- 32 years(as in 2020)
Mother- Kusum Chadda
Father- Somesh Chadda
Brother- Pranav Chadda, Anshumann Chadda, Justhand Trishabh Chadda
Marital Status/Marriage- Unmarried
Height- 5’4 approx.
Net Worth- $4-5 million approx.
Richa Chadda Biography
Richa Chadda is an Indian actress and model who is known for her work in Hindi industry. After debuting in a small role with movie “Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!”, she worked as a supporting actress in several movies. But it was not that long when she finally got her breakthrough role with movie “Gangs of Wasseypur”, where her role was of highly foul-tongued wife of a gangster earned her the prestigious award of Filmfare. Then in 2015, she finally made her debut as a main lead with critically acclaimed movie “Masaan” and with her performance, she created a strong niche for herself in the industry. Her presence on the screen is quite impressive and her work in several best web series have brought tremendous attention on her talents. Let’s get in more details about her family, boyfriend, education, career and more.
Richa Chadha Family
She was born in Patna, located in Eastern India into a middle class Hindu family. Her father name is Somesh Chadha, runs a management firm and mother name is Kusum Chadha, a professor at Delhi University College PGDAV. She has 4 brothers named Pranav Chadda, Anshumann Chadda, Justh and Trishabh Chadda. When she was 2 years old, her family was forced to shift to Delhi in 1984 during the Sikh Riots.
Richa Chadha Education
There are not many stars who associate academic hard work and life in entertainment industry. But there are few actors with academic milestones who have marked their presence in the field of arts with their talents and Richa Chadha is among them. She completed her schooling from Sardar Patel Vidyalaya in New Delhi. Then she completed her graduation from St. Stephane College, Delhi University. Later, she proceeded to complete her post-graduation Diploma in social Communication media from Mumbai.
Richa Chadha Boyfriend
She is dating actor Ali Fazal. The two became great friends on the sets of their movie “Fukrey” and started seeing each other after sometime. Initially, their dating rumors started doing the rounds when she broke up with her ex-boyfriend Frank Gastambide, whom she met during the Cannes Film Festival 2015. In no time, she made her relationship with Ali official. The couple were about to get married in April 2020 but later postponed their marriage by sometime amid lockdown.
However before dating Ali, the Fukrey actress has been in relationship with actor Nikhil Dwivedi and actor Franck Gastambide.
Richa Chadha Career
She started her career as a model but later switched to theatre and learned theatre acting from Barry John Acting School. Within a short span of time, she made her acting debut with Bollywood movie “Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!” and got compliments for her confident debut. But eventually she rose to fame for her work in movie “Gangs of Wasseypur”. Her performance in the movie was so good that she even won “Filmfare Critics Award for best actress”. The pivotal role of Nagma Khatoon that she portrayed on screen in the movie turned out to be the biggest stepping stone towards her success in the industry.
Post that, she did movies like Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 2, Fukrey, Goliyon Ki Rasleela Ram-Leela, Masaan, Sarbjit, Cabaret, etc. She has emerged as a successful actress over the years and holds a strong place in the industry. Even though she started low in her career but her resilience got paid and she made it to the list of one of the talented actresses of the industry.
Richa Chadda Controversies
The actress who has delivered some best performances in movies like Fukrey and Masaan has made headlines in the news for few controversies as well. Have a look at some:
- Once she was detained at airport for long two hours for carrying skin care products, joining the list of actors like Shahrukh Khan and Preity Zinta.
- The actress was trolled for her comments over Prime Minister’s “Selfiewithdaughter” initiative. In an interview she said that the problems with women cannot be just solved by taking selfies and this didn’t go well with Modi fans and she was criticized by his fans.
- In an interview, the actress talked about industry where she said that the film industry doesn’t consider her beautiful because of her skin color.
Some Interesting & Lesser Known Facts About Richa Chadha
The actress has been growing with every movie of hers since she made her debut in Bollywood with critically acclaim movie “Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!”. Let’s get to know about some interesting facts about her:
- She shifted to Delhi from Amritsar in 1984 during Sikh riots.
- Before stepping into movies, she did an internship with a men’s fashion magazine. And post completing her internship, she tried her hands on theatre and modelling.
- While doing her internship with a men’s magazine, once she approached actor Abhay Deol but was refused by him. Later, after few years she made her Bollywood debut opposite him in movie “Oye Lucky Lucky Oye”.
- The actress makes sure to wear different perfumes while shooting that goes with her character she is playing in the movie. Like for movie “Gangs of Wasseypur”, she used earthy ittar made of Jasmine flower, then for movie “Fukrey”, she wore provocative women and similarly chose “Music” for movie Ramleela and more.
- According to a leading news portal, she battled with eating disorder named “bulimia” when she started off with her career. It is basically a disorder in which the affected person engages in spells of binge eating followed by purging to get rid of the food from body. But the good news is that she has now completely recovered from this.
- Since she has some eating disorders at some point of her life, she decided to go to vegan as a move to eat healthy and stay fit.
- She is quite active on social media with strong presence on her Instagram account and Facebook account.
- She can speak Tamil language fluently and is a trained Bharatnatyam dancer.
- Other than acting, she has also directed and wrote a 20 mins documentary movie named “Rooted in Hope” in 2006.
- She took her theatre training from famous director Barry John.