Name- Hema Malini
Date of Birth- 16 October 1948
Age- 73 years(as in 2021)
Mother- Jaya Lakshmi Chakravarti
Father- VSR Chakravarti
Brother- R.K. Chakravarti and R.J. Chakravarti
Marital Status/Marriage- Married
Son- Sunny Deol and Bobby Deol (Step-sons)
Daughter- Esha Deol and Ahana Deol
Height- 5’6 approx.
Net Worth- $60 Million approx.
Hema Malini Biography
The actress who is popularly known as Dream Girl, Hema Malini is a veteran actress, producer, dancer, director and politician. She is known primarily for working in mainstream Hindi cinema industry.
Here we’ve attempted to write a small Hema Malini biography, her family, love life, husband, children, career, etc. and other related things for her die-hard fans. So without any delay lets’ start!
Who is Hema Malini?
Hema Malini is an Indian actress, dancer, director, producer, writer and politician. She is known as one of the most successful actress of her time in the history of Hindi cinema. She made her acting debut with Tamil movie Idhu Sathiyam in 1963. Initially, her career in the south was not very successful and so she moved to Bollywood and made her debut with movie “Sapno Ka Saudagar”. Post this, she went on to feature in numerous Bollywood movies and became one of the most successful actress of the industry. She has worked in many successful movies like Kranti, Satte Pe Satta, Rajput, Sita Aur Gita, Baghavat, Sitapur Ki Geeta, Sholay, Dard, Bandish, etc. and established herself as the top paid actress of the industry.
Hema Malini Family
She was born in Jeeyapuram, Tiruchirappalli district, India into a middle class Tamil speaking Hindu family. Her mother name is Jaya Lakshmi Chakravarti, who was a producer in South Indian Movies Industry and father name is VSR Chakravarti. She has two younger brothers named R.K.Chakravarti and R.J.Chakravarti. Both of them are also film producers of South Indian Film Industry.
Hema Malini Husband
She is married to actor Dharmendra. She got attracted to him while working with him in movie Sholay. Soon they expressed their feelings to each other and decided to get married. But at that time, Dharmendra was already married to Prakash Kaur and had two children with her.
As per the Hindu rituals, he couldn’t marry Hema until giving divorce to his first wife. But his first wife was not ready to divorce him. So, in the end both Hema and Dharmendra got converted into Islam and then married each other on 2 May 1980. The couple have 2 cute daughters together named Esha Deol and Ahana Deol. Actors Sunny Deol and Bobby Deol are his step-sons.
In her autobiography, she revealed that there was a time when superstars Sanjeev Kumar and Jeetendra Kapoor proposed her for marriage but she rejected the proposal and decided to marry Dharmendra.
Hema Malini Career
She has always been interested in dancing and acting since her childhood. Being interested in dancing, she left her studies to make her career in the entertainment industry. In 1961, she made her debut as a dancer in a regional movie.
Her mother always wanted her to become an actress but in the beginning of her career, she couldn’t make her place in the south industry. So, she moved to Bollywood and made her debut opposite actor Raj Kapoor in movie Sapno Ka Saudagar. The movie did average business but post the movie, every director wanted to cast her for their movie and this is how her acting career began.
In her career, she has worked with many superstars of that time including Raj Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, Shashi Kapoor, Rajesh Khanna, Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjeev Kumar, etc. well established actors. In no time, she became the top-paid actress of the industry.
The actress has done over 155 movies including the best ones like Tum Haseen Main Jawaan, Satte Pe Satta, Sholey, Sita Aur Gita, Kranti, Andha Kanoon, and more. She is also trained in various Indian classical dance forms including Bharatnatyam, Kuchipudi and Mohinittam. Even after being the top actress of the Industry, she continued performing dance at various events on stage.
Not just on big screen but she has also worked in small screen. She has acted in numerous shows including Jai Mata Ki, Kamini Damini etc.
Hema Malini Political Career
Her politics career began with 1999 Lok Sabha Elections where she campaigned for BJP candidate and Bollywood actor Vinod Khanna from Gurdaspur, Punjab. Later in 2003, she was nominated by then President APJ Abdul Kalam to the Rajya Sabha. Then in 2004, she officially joined politics and a new innings of her life started. In 2010, she became the General Secretary and then became the MP by winning Mathura Lok Sabha Seat in the year 2014.
In 2019 again, she won by huge margin of votes from Mathura, Uttar Pradesh and retained her seat by a margin of 2,93,471 votes.
Facts About Hema Malini
Have a look at some of the lesser known facts about her:
- She is a 10th dropout as she always wanted to become an actress and get into movies. But later in 2012, she received her Honorary Doctorate in Philosophy from the Singhania University in Udaipur, Rajasthan.
- In the year 1964, director CV Sridhar rejected her for not being the star material. And later the role was grabbed by actress Jayalalitha.
- Luckily, she doesn’t had to wait longer to made her debut as in year 1965, she got her first break with a small role in movie Pandava Vanavasam.
- In 1968, she made her Bollywood debut opposite actor Raj Kapoor for movie Sapno Ka Saudagar. The movie didn’t perform well but she was highly praised for her work and got 2 big movies Johny Mera Naam and Tum Haseen Main Jawaan. Both of these movies were super hit at the box office.
- She got her first Filmfare award for movie Sita Aur Gita in 1972. Then in 2000, she was felicitated with Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award and has also been awarded with one of India’s prestigious award Padma Bhushan for her contribution in the film industry.
- During 1971-1975, she was the 4th highest paid actress of the industry and became the second highest paid actress in 1976-1985 along with actress Zeenat Aman.
- She was also amongst the few actresses of industry to wear bell bottoms & shirts on screen.
- The actress mentioned in her auto-biography that two of the biggest superstars Jeetendra and Sanjeev Kapoor had approached her for marriage but it was actor Dharmendra who won her heart.
- During a popular scene of Sholay where Veeru was seen teaching pistol to Basanti, he paid the light boys on the sets to repeatedly make mistakes while shooting that scene so he can get more chance to embrace the actress.
- It was on the sets of “Tum Haseen Man Jawaan” where she met the love of her life Dharmendra. Thereafter, they worked in more than 40 movies together.
- Since Dharmendra was already married and father of 2 children, she and Dharmendra converted to Islam. Post the conversion, she was named Aisha Bi R Chakravarty and actor Dharmendra was named Dilwar Khan.
- She is only 6 years elder to actor Sunny Deol who is son of Dharmendra and his first wife, Prakash Kaur.
- The actress have more than 150 movies in her clan and she is the only actress who got the opportunity to work with all Kapoors in Bollywood like Raj Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, Shashi Kapoor, Randhir Kapoor and Rishi Kapoor.
- Superstar Shahrukh Khan is her gift to the Bollywood industry as it was Hema who gave him break in Bollywood after watching him on television serial Fauji. In 1992, she again signed him for movie Dil Aashna Hai.
- She is the founder of an Institute that is committed to create & spread Indian mythological themes through medium of dance, named Natya Vihar Kalakendra.
Hema is by far the most popular & successful actress of Indian cinema with highest hit ratios of movie throughout her career. Started her career with Tamil cinema to becoming the Dream Girl of whole Nation, she became a well known actress of the Indian industry who is loved by people from all over the world.