Name- Mahendra Singh Dhoni/ MS Dhoni
Date of Birth- 7 July 1981
Age- 39 years(as in 2020)
Mother- Devki Devi
Father- Pan Singh
Sister– Jayanti Gupta
Brother- Narendra Singh Dhoni
Marital Status/Marriage- Married
Wife- Sakshi Dhoni
Daughter- Ziva Dhoni
Height- 5’9 approx.
Weight- 76kg approx.
Net Worth- US$111million approx.
Salary- INR 15 Crores approx. (IPL)
Mahendra Singh Dhoni Biography
Mahendra Singh Dhoni, better known as MS Dhoni is an Indian international cricketer who is considered to be one of the best wicket-keepers and captains in modern cricket era. Born on 7 July 1981, he did his schooling from DAV Jawahar Vidya Mandir in Ranchi, Jharkhand. He is a college dropout from St. Xavier’s College in Ranchi. MS Dhoni is the one of the finest player produced by Indian team whose brilliance behind the stumps has stunned the cricket pundits time and again. He first captained India in 2007; winning 2007 ICC T20s, Asia Cups in 2010 and 2016, 2011 ICC World Cup and the 2013 ICC Champions Trophy and has set benchmarks for other players. He is the only captain that has won all three ICC trophies.
Favorite Things of Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- Amitabh Bachchan and John Abraham are his Favorite Actors.
- Angelina Jolie and Deepika Padukone are his Favorite Actresses.
- Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers are his Favorite Batsmen.
- Brett Lee and Glenn McGrath are his Favorite Bowlers.
- Football and Cricket are his Favorite Sports.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is his Favorite Footballer.
- Sholay and Agneepath are his Favorite Bollywood Movies.
- Kishore Kumar is his Favorite Singer.
- Black and Blue are his Favorite Colors.
- Hot Chocolate Fudge and Chicken are his Favorite Food.
- Goa, Sri Lanka and London are his Favorite Destinations.
- Biking, Playing Football, Swimming and Travelling are his Favorite Hobbies.
- His nicknames are MSD, Mahi, and Captain Cool.
- Helicopter shot and Paddlesweep are his Favorite Shots.
- Keshav Banerjee and Chanchal Bhattacharya are his Coach/ Mentor.
Facts About MS Dhoni
- He is not only a talented cricket player but played fair deal of football and badminton initially.
- In the year 1993, he was spotted as a goalkeeper by his school coach KR Banerjee, who later told him to try his hands in wicket-keeping as well.
- Later, former cricket captain of Bengal PC Poddar, saw great potential in Dhoni after he saw him during “Talent Resource Development Wing” match in Jamshedpur. After this, he was selected in U19 Bihar team for 1998-99 season and scored 176 runs in 5 matches.
- Though before being the iconic cricketer, he worked as a ticket collector at Kharagpur’s station. After sometime, he left the job and focused on his cricket career as it was shown in movie “MS Dhoni: the untold story” which was based on his life.
- In the year 2003, Indian captain Sourav Ganguly approached him to move Kolkata but he declined his offer and went to Bihar at National Cricket Academy.
- His life’s turning point came after he was selected in India A tour of Zimbabwe and Kenya and performed exceptionally.
- In 2004, the wicketkeeper batsmen made his ODI debut against Bangladesh and was run out on the first ball.
- He rose to fame after he made his 1st ODI century against Pakistan in Vishakhapatnam and the rest is history.
- Dhoni was recommended as captain of team India by legendary cricketer Sachin Tendulkar.
- On 1 November 2011, he was given the title of Lieutenant Colonel by the Indian Territorial Army and became the 2nd Indian after Kapil Dev to receive this honorary award.
- During his initial years of International cricket, he sported long hair and once revealed that his hairstyle was inspired by Bollywood actor John Abraham.
- He loves dogs and owns two pets named Zarah and Sam.
- Having refined taste in music, he loves listening to old classic songs of singer Kishore Kumar.
- He is the only player who has won ICC Player of the Year twice.
- It was his friend Santosh Lal who taught him the helicopter shot.
- He loves frequenting temples and his favorite temple is in Ranchi- Deori Mandir which is on National Highway 33.
- He owns a superstar world championship team named “Mahi Racing Team India” with Telugu superstar Akkineni Nagarjuna.
- MSD loves collecting bikes and owns over 23 bikes. He holds his place among the greatest athletes with biggest car collections as well.
- If we look at his career, he is considered as one of the most successful captains of Indian Cricket Team.
- In IPL, he has played for Chennai Superkings and Rising Pune Supergiants.
MS Dhoni Family
He was born in Ranchi, Jharkhand, India into a middle class Hindu family. His father name is Pan Singh who was an MECON employee at Junior Management Position and mother name is Devki Devi, a homemaker. He has an elder brother named Narendra Singh Dhoni who is a politician and an elder sister named Jayanti Gupta. The cricketer shares close relationship with his family and often shares pictures with them on his Instagram account. He has made his family proud by being one of the known cricketers of team India who is known worldwide for his playing skills.
MS Dhoni Wife/ Girlfriends
He is married to his childhood friend Sakshi Rawat. He and Sakshi Rawat were childhood friends and even studied in the same school. However, when Sakshi and her family left the city of Ranchi, the two of them did not keep in touch. Yet, it was their destiny to meet again, as Dhoni met her again in Kolkata in 2007 during the India-Pakistan series. Sakshi then was working as an intern in Taj Hotel and was introduced to MS Dhoni, by his manager, Yudhajit Dutta. It was like the fate wanted them to be together as it was last day of Sakshi as the intern. And after she left, Dhoni asked her number from Dutta and messaged her. Finally they started dating in 2008 and they kept their relationship a secret. On 4 July 2010, the couple got married in a lavish wedding ceremony that even media didn’t know about. Then in February 2015, they became proud parents of a girl named Ziva Dhoni. Both of them makes a lovely couple together and are living a blissful life.
However before marrying Sakshi, his name was linked with several beauties as well. Have a look at his past relationships:
- In the year 2002, while he was cementing his place in the Indian team, he fell in love with a girl named “Priyanka Jha”. But unfortunately, she died in an accident in the same year.
- He dated actress Raai Laxmi back in 2008. He met her during her birthday party where he went with cricketer Suresh Raina. Even though they broke up after couple of months, Raai still has a lot of respect for him and how he has become a part of her life.
- The Ghajini star Asin and Dhoni were also believed to be together after Dhoni was seen leaving her home in Mumbai in the year 2010. But they never accepted it in public and claimed this news baseless.
- It is rumored that MS Dhoni had a crush on Deepika Padukone even before she was famous. Reportedly, he cut off his long hair for her, but other reports suggest that Dhoni did so after John Abraham. They became distant after Deepika and Yuvraj Singh got linked together.
MS Dhoni Career
His cricket journey has not been very easy. He started his journey as a goalkeeper in football team but moved to wicket-keeping after his coach KR Banerjee noticed him and suggested him to try his hands in the same. He played several tournaments and became the local star but his journey to cement his place in team India was tough. Although, he was playing well for Bihar but was not getting any bigger opportunities in cricket initially. He then moved to West Bengal and worked as a ticket collector at Kharagpur railway station for 3 years (2001-2003). But destiny had other plans for him, and he left his job to focus full time on his cricket. And finally after playing domestic cricket for a long time, he got in notice of the selectors and made his ODI debut against Bangladesh on 23 December 2004.
He didn’t perform well on his debut match but gained everyone’s attention after he got selected in India A tour of Zimbabwe and Kenya where he played exceptionally well and showed everyone his caliber. Following that, he made his test and T20I debuts in the coming years. In 2007, he was offered to be the captain of team India on the recommendation of cricketer Sachin Tendulkar and the rest is history. Under his captaincy, India became No.1 Test team and remained its position for long 18 months. He is the only captain that has won all three ICC trophies.
MS Dhoni International Debut
The timid boy with long hair from Jharkhand had made his International debut as follows:
- ODI- On 23 December 2004 against team Bangladesh at Chittagong.
- Test- On 2 December 2005 against team Sri Lanka at Chennai.
- T20- On 1 December 2006 against South Africa at Johannesburg.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni IPL
In 2008, he was bought by Chennai Super Kings for US$1.5 million becoming the most expensive player of the season. He captained Chennai Super Kings to victory in 2010 and 2011 and 2018 Indian Premier League titles. But after CSK was banned for 2 years in 2016, he was bought by Rising Pune Supergiants. He became one of the most successful captains of IPL seasons who has won the IPL titles.
MS Dhoni Records and Achievements
Mahendra Singh Dhoni or MS Dhoni, popularly known as Mahi and Captain Cool has made several records in his career. His achievements are not hidden from the world and here we are showing some of his best among so many. Have a look:
Test Cricket Records
- In 2009, under his captaincy, Indian team had topped the test ranking for the first time ever.
- He is known as the most successful Indian test captain with 27 wins, leaving Sourav Ganguly’s record of 21 wins behind.
- First Indian wicket-keeper who has completed 4,000 Test runs.
- His 224 score against team Australia in Chennai, is the 3rd higest score by an Indian captain.
- His maiden century(148) is the fastest century scored by an Indian wicket-keeper.
- He completed 50 sixes as captain and made Indian record.
- Ranks first in the all-time dismissals list by Indian wicket-keepers.
- Record of most stumpings(38) by any wicket-keeper in a Test career.
ODI Cricket Records
- 3rd Captain overall to win 100 games.
- 4th Indian to reach 10,000 ODI runs after Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly & Rahul Dravid.
- 1st player to make 10,000 runs in ODI cricket with having a career average of over 50
- He holds the record of making most career runs(4031) in ODI history even after batting at 6th position.
- He is the only player who has scored more than 100 in ODI cricket when batting at number 7 position.
- First Indian and fifth overall to hit 200 sixes in ODIs.
- His score of 183 runs against Sri Lanka is the highest score by a wicket-keeper(2005).
- His 113 runs against team Pakistan is the highest score made by a captain at position 7.
- India’s highest 8th wicket partnership in ODIs of 100 which he made with bowler Bhuvneshwar Kumar.
- Holds the records of the most dismissals in an innings (6) and career (432) by an Indian wicket-keeper.
- First Indian wicket-keeper to take 300 ODI catches.
T20I Cricket Records
- Most number of T20I (41) wins as captain.
- Holds the record for playing the most T20I innings (76).
- He has the most catches as wicket-keeper in T20I (54).
- Most dismissals as wicket-keeper (87).
- Played most number of International matches as captain.
- He is the first wicket-keeper to effect 150 stumping dismissals across the three forms of the game.
MS Dhoni Awards
The star cricketer has won many awards over the years for his performance in Indian International cricket. Have a look at some of the awards won by him:
- 2006- Won MTV Youth Icon of The Year.
- 2006/ 2008/ 2009/ 2010/ 2011/ 2012/ 2013/ 2014- Won ICC World ODI XI.
- 2007-08- Won Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, India’s highest honor given for achievement in sports.
- 2008/2009- Won ICC Player of the Year.
- 2009/ 2010/ 2013- Won ICC World Test XI.
- 2009- Won Padma Shri, India’s fourth-highest civilian award.
- 2011- Won Castrol Indian Cricketer of the Year.
- 2011- Won Honorary doctorate degree by De Montfort University.
- 2013- Won LG People’s Choice Award.
- 2018- Won Padma Bhushan Award.
MS Dhoni Controversies
MS Dhoni is one of the cricket players who is admired by the cricket fans worldwide. But still there are some controversies that he was part of which made some of his fans to criticize him. Have a look:
- In 2008, India played a tri-series involving Australia and Sri Lanka in Australia. India won that tri-series, however, Dhoni was involved in a controversy. Allegedly, he was involved in a sacrificial ritual. Apparently, at Ranchi temple, Dhoni sacrificed a goat to celebrate a win. This act of him angered the whole nation and then Dhoni made sure that he will never repeat any such antics in future.
- In that very tri-series, the ICC warned the Indian captain for using “illegal” gloves. He was told that using the gloves again without inspection would lead to a penalty.
- During the IPL match-fixing scandal in 2013, Dhoni’s role in match-fixing was confirmed by a bookie and the investigator SP Kumar. In the investigation, it was found that a bookie named “Kitty” had confessed that Gurunath Meiyappan had informed captain Dhoni had agreed to lose a match. There was no follow-up, however.
- Dhoni was a close friend of N Srinivasan who was the former ICC Chairman, BCCI President, and the Managing Director of India Cement. His relation with Srinivasan was analysed in journalist Rajdeep Saradesai’s book “Democray XI”. The conflict of interest occurred after Srinivasan voted for Dhoni and helped him retain his captaincy in the Indian Cricket Team.
- Another prominent controversy which raised eyebrows of his fans was that he gave preference to Chennai Super Kings players to the Indian international cricket team, even though there were other deserving players in the country.
View this post on Instagram