Name- Boney Kapoor
Date of Birth- 11 November 1953
Age- 68 years (as in 2021)
Mother- Nirmal Kapoor
Father- Surinder Kapoor
Sister– Reena Kapoor
Brother- Anil Kapoor and Sanjay Kapoor
Marital Status/Marriage- Married
Son- Arjun Kapoor
Daughter- Anshula Kapoor, Janhvi Kapoor and Khushi Kapoor
Height- 6’0 approx.
Net Worth- $20Million approx.
Boney Kapoor Biography
The most jovial, gutsy and the one who doesn’t hesitate to take risks and give opportunities to the newcomers. The one who is gifted with lots of talents and have high sense of ability of identifying the right talent. A producer who has given numerous hits at the box office. But despite all his success, he is more known as the husband of actress Sridevi Kapoor rather than a successful filmmaker or producer.
Here we’ve attempted to share a detailed Boney Kapoor biography, age, wiki, family details, love story, and more things related to him that people wants to know about. So lets dive right in!
Who is Boney Kapoor?
Boney Kapoor is an Indian producer who has produced various hit movies including Mr. India, No Entry, Judaai and Wanted to his credit. He was married to legendary actress Sridevi until she died of drowning in her hotel bath tub in Dubai in 2018. Bollywood actors Anil Kapoor and Sanjay Kapoor are his younger brothers. Also, he is father of actor Arjun Kapoor and actress Janhvi Kapoor. His first marriage was with Mona, a TV producer who died of cancer in 2012.
Initially, he was born as Achal Kapoor into Punjabi family who came from Peshawar, Pakistan to India. In the beginning, his family stayed at Raj Kapoor’s car garage. Even in their struggling days, his family lived in Chawl area of Mumbai. But years after years, with their dedication and hard work, they build their empire in the Bollywood industry and each member of his family went on to do something big in the industry. He decided to took his father’s legacy forward as he was a producer and his younger brothers decided to become actors.
Boney Kapoor Family
He was born in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh into a Punjabi family having roots in Pakistan. His father name is Surinder Kapoor, a known producer and mother name is Nirmal Kapoor, a homemaker. He has two brothers named Anil Kapoor and Sanjay Kapoor and a sister named Reena Kapoor. Both of his brothers are known actors of the industry.
Boney Kapoor Wife
He had his first marriage with Mona Shourie Kapoor in 1983. She was a known TV producer. They have 2 children together named Arjun Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor. Everything was going well in their lives and they were living like a happy family till Boney fell in love with Sridevi. It is reported that Sridevi was not in love with Boney then but it was him who wanted to get closer to her.
In 1987, when Sridevi demanded 10Lakhs INR for his movie Mr. India, he gave her 11Lakhs to book her for the movie. This is when they became good friends. After sometime Sridevi’s mother fell ill and at that time, it was Boney who went all out to help Sridevi financially and mentally. This is said it was the time when Sridevi fell for him. Then in 1993, he officially proposed her and took their relationship to the next level.
Later during the time of Bombay blasts, Sridevi was staying in a hotel in Mumbai. At this time Boney convinced her mother to let the actress stay with him at his house. With Mona being Sridevi’s good friend, she let her stay at her home. But it was year 1996, when it came as shock to Mona to hear that Sridevi is pregnant. If reports are to be believed then Sridevi was even beaten up by Mona’s mother.
Unfortunately in 2018, actress Sridevi passed away in Dubai after drowning in her hotel bath tub.
Boney Kapoor Career
Just like his father, he too wanted to become a producer. In 1970s, he started his career as an assistant director. Then, he started working under Shakti Samanta as his assistant director. His first movie “Hum Paanch” turned out to be a big hit at the box office.
It was movie Mr. India which gave rise to his production career starring his brother Anil Kapoor and wife Sridevi Kapoor. The movie became a classic cult and broke many records at the box office. Be it Sridevi’s “Hawa Hawaii” or Amrish Puri’s “Mogambo Khush Hua” or the concept of an invisible man, the audience and critics loved every part of the movie. There is no looking back for him since then and he gave many hits at the box office including Mr. India, Judaai, Pukar, Wanted, No Entry and more among many other movies.
Facts About Boney Kapoor
Have a look at some of the lesser known facts about Boney Kapoor:
- Following the footsteps of his father Surinder Kapoor, he started his career in Bollywood industry with movie Hum Paanch in 1983. The movie did a good business at the box office and helped the actors Mithun & Amrish Puri to establish their place in the industry.
- He is big fan of Raj Kapoor and loves watching his movies.
- Boney was mesmerized by Sridevi’s performances in the South movies and wanted to cast her in his movie. Finally, he approached her for his movie Mr. India, to which Sridevi asked 10lakhs INR which used to be a big amount at that time. But Boney agreed to this and that’s how began his one-sided love story.
- As per few reports, Mithun came to know about Boney and then out of his insecurity, he made Sridevi to tie rakhi to Boney Kapoor. Though, even actor Mithun Chakraborty was married at that time and therefore, he was not really willing to commit Sridevi.
- After sometime, her mother diagnosed with brain tumor. She took her mother to US for treatment. During that time of hardship, she had no one who can support her. This was the time when Boney flew to US to meet Sridevi and even offered her financial and mental support. This is how they came closer.
- There was a time when actor Anil Kapoor was finding it hard to survive in the industry. It was Boney Kapoor who came to his rescue by offering him his full-fledged role in his movie “Wo Saat Din” in 1983.
- He is big time foodie and can’t resist the delicious Chicken Tikka and the South Indian Cuisine.
- In movie “The Great Gambler”, he played actor Amitabh Bachchan’s body double in it.
- Its quite shocking that both his wives Mona and Sridevi died before the release of their child’s Bollywood debut movie.
- Boney Kapoor was also an active member of Board of Directors of AAFT which stands for Asian Academy of Film and TV.
- Not just this, he was also a member of governing council of Asian Academy of Film & TV in Noida that basically conducts various short & long-term courses.
- Despite coming from an influential families of Bollywood and being a renowned producer of the industry, there was a time in 2000s when he was in debts as none of his movies were doing good business at the box office. Then luckily in 2005, Anil Kapoor and Salman Khan starrer movie “No Entry” came to his rescue as it was one of the biggest hit movies of that year.
- And then the year 2009 again turned lucky for him as his movie “Wanted” did quite a well business at the box office.
So this is all about Boney Kapoor Biography. He is one of the popular directors of Bollywood industry who has given many hits at the box office that is loved by people even now.